Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Clanking/binding/popping sound please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Clanking/binding/popping sound please help

Hey all. After I installed my torque converter I get this weird clanking/binding noise when I start-up or when the engine is at low idle (cold start). It sounds like a pop. I'll be idleing and it will pop and pop, a binding sorta pop. The sound is isolated around the bell housing area. I really don't know what it could be. Could anybody please help me with this? It only happens on low idle and start up. Not cruising or anything. I also have a stuck shift solenoid, but that wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Import Patrol

is this your first time installing a torque con. did you get the 3 clicks when your put the convertor on
Old 08-14-2005, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
is this your first time installing a torque con. did you get the 3 clicks when your put the convertor on

i know it sounds stupid, but check your exhuast manifolds/headers at the head. I had a horrendous sounding tick that i and others thought was piston slap, but it just ended up being a realy really bad exhuast leak on one cylinder.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
Yes, the I seated the torque converter properly.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by menlatin
i know it sounds stupid, but check your exhuast manifolds/headers at the head. I had a horrendous sounding tick that i and others thought was piston slap, but it just ended up being a realy really bad exhuast leak on one cylinder.
I was thinking of the exhaust too. Sounds weird to be it though. It might be. I'm checking into that too. Anymore suggestions?
Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Teching In

sounds exactly like what my car was doing right after the converter install..... couldnt figure out what it was.... come to find out my tranny mount was cracked, and soon after the install it busted in half....

D
Old 08-14-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

I'll look into that too, but that doesn't sound like what it could be. I really need this figured out. It sounds like a marble in a tin can when I crank it. I think it might be something in the exhaust???? I really can't tell. Keep the suggestions coming. Tomorrow I'm unbolting the exhaust and taking a peak and doing some diagnosing. Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:36 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you find that was making the noise you posted about? Was it in the tranny or converter? I'm curios. Thanks!