Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Vendors

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gear Vendors

Does anyone run the TH400 with the Gear Vendors overdrive? Any issues with the setup? Any driveshaft info would help also.

Mec
Old 09-12-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I ran the combo for a few miles...having some other trans trouble, but the GV works awesome! My DS is a custom Denny's unit...it is really short, LOL!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phate
Yep, I ran the combo for a few miles...having some other trans trouble, but the GV works awesome! My DS is a custom Denny's unit...it is really short, LOL!
I'm trying to research the gear vendors. What was it like having an OD for every gear?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

Did you have any floor pan clearance issues?

Mec
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 AM
11 Second Club

I looked into a TH400 with gear vendors when my stock tranny lost a clutch pack. It's just WAY too expensive. For a real street car that sees highway/interstate driving (daily driver) I still feel a built 4l60E is the best bet.

Of course, if it's not a daily driver type then a TH400 is the way to go.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

still alot cheaper then a built 4l80
nbm2000ws6 was one that ive seen, havent ridden it it yet, but he better give me a ride some time. he didnt have to do any clearancing of the tunnel, it reportable fit fine, just had to reposition his driveshaft safty loops on his sphoon torque arm.
I'd like to feel a transbrake launch from it, but its not likely now since he put a 10 bolt back in it. thats something you cant have on a 4l60 either
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
For a real street car that sees highway/interstate driving (daily driver) I still feel a built 4l60E is the best bet.
There is no way that a built 4l60E would live behind my setup, plain and simple.

No clearancing of the tunnel, same thing though with the spohn arm, I had to hack off the DS loop, I have yet to put on another one. I am waiting for my new turbo right now, but when it arrives we will see if this thing can live behind a 1000+rwhp car.

I never really played too much with shifting the GV in other gears, although I planned to mess with it in the future. I was using the Auto-shift and the car will automatically go into OD when you are over a certain MPH.

Neat unit, we will see if it will live though...and how it will do at the track.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the info. I have a car club buddy who is tired of fixing his T56 every time he sprays at the track. Will likely build him a TH400 and do a GV. He's already running a 12 bolt so this upgrade will be a good one.

Mec
Old 09-14-2005, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

There is no way that a built 4l60E would live behind my setup, plain and simple.
Is your car a daily driver?

Properly built 60E's have withstood some serious power. The question then, unfortunately, is "for how long?".
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is your car a daily driver?

Properly built 60E's have withstood some serious power. The question then, unfortunately, is "for how long?".
Not daily because I have another car and commute in horrible traffic in LA, however the car will see a lot of street and highway miles when it is back up and running.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Not daily because I have another car and commute in horrible traffic in LA, however the car will see a lot of street and highway miles when it is back up and running.
Then, no offense, but I don't see why you are bringing up the fact that a 4L60E wouldn't survive behind your motor. You are not the topic starter and I stated that for a DAILY DRIVER the 60E is still, IMO, the best bet.

BTW: The reason I specify daily driver is a combination of the fact that some people will call just about anything a street car and there is a huge difference in what you can get away with on a car that you drive when you feel like it vs a daily driver where it is your ONLY car and must get you from point A to point B every single day. There is so much more I would/could do with/to my car if I had something else to drive from time to time.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are not the topic starter and I stated that for a DAILY DRIVER the 60E is still, IMO, the best bet.
Well then, on that same line of thinking, you are not the topic starter either. The person who started this topic asked about the Gear Vendor unit, which you DO NOT own. So, I replied with some information about the GV, which I DO own.

Your opinion of the better street trans was never asked by anyone (including the individual that started this thread)...you felt the need to interject your opinion.

Then, no offense, but I don't see why you are bringing up the fact that a 4L60E wouldn't survive behind your motor.
My post about the GV and why I went the route that I did with the TH400 was in response to your post touting the virtues of the 4L60E. The difference is that my post is still relavent to the original topic of the GV, while your post brings up your opinion on the 4L60E, and really adds no additional information about the GV (much like this post) other then "It's just WAY too expensive", which is relative.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

You have a point on the relativity as it pertains to the topic starter.

Part of the problem is I am making assumptions about the topic starter because he gives very little information and I know that very few members run a GV overdrive.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:32 AM
11 Second Club

You have a point on the relativity as it pertains to the topic starter.

Part of the problem is I am making assumptions about the topic starter because he gives very little information and I know that very few members run a GV overdrive.
The reason I asked about the GV is for a fellow member of San Antonio F-Body. His problem is his T56 having a problem when he runs a big nitrous shot of about 250 HP on an engine already over 400 hp N/A. He came to me because I've been building 700R4s and 4L60Es with good results for a while now. I've built a few units for some cars that run in the very low 11s that are still holding up quite well. Not bad for just a hobby. He came to me for some advice on a retro fit on an auto setup. My advice to him was he is spraying so big but still wants to drive the car on the street, a fairly bullet proof setup IMO would be a TH400 which I could build for him and then the addition of the GV for streetability. Thats the reason for my post. Just simply wanting a few details and/or issues on this type set up in an F-body. If I started some confusion with my vaugeness I apologize. I look to this site for the more in depth problems or questions and find some very helpfull people like the folks at Pro Built who spent an hour and a half on the phone with me and gave me alot of helpfull pointers. Thanks for your input to my post. I know you are just trying to give the best info you can.

Mec
Old 09-15-2005, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Money and weight not an option/factor for a bullet proof daily driver tranny behind serious power a TH400 with gear vendors OD or a 4L80E come to mind.