Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What trans fluid for A4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What trans fluid for A4?

I roadrace my A4 (i know, i know, get a t56) but for now, I need to find a heavy fluid that can survive more than 5 laps without starting to shift 400rpm higher than it's told to.
I've heard great things about Amsoil, but I'd like to hear more testimonials and recommendations. If you also can tell me who's got the best deal on it, that would be great too.
thanks
Old 09-16-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just curious, are your temps creeping up and is that leading to the rpm slip?

The one thing I noticed when drag racing is that my car would shift at different rpm on the street than what worked at the strip. I had to back my shift points down at the track from what worked on the street or I would tag the limiter. This occurred even when my temps were cool. Not sure that this helps in any way...
Old 09-16-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I assume so. I don't have a trans gauge, but the trans starts shifting higher and higher with every lap, until it starts bouncing off the revlimiter (6200 shifts, 6600 hard limit) or not shift at all, just kinda 'ride' the revlimiter for a sec or two (then i chicken out and lift). I lowered shiftpoints by about 5mph and it would help, but that's not the solution, that's a bandaid.
seems temp related to me.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the standard Amsoil ATF is a great product for stability I may have a better idea for these extreme conditions. It is called Amsoil Torque Drive (ATD). It is designed for a direct replacement for heavy-duty transmissions including those using Dexron-III. This fluid has great thermal and oxidative stability for consistant, smooth clutch engagement. It may be worth a try for those of you that run the autos hard. Best of all I can get it for the same price as the regular ATF. I will attach a link for this product for you to read.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx?zo=1132530

Ken