Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2, d, od to 1, 2, d, od...HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2, d, od to 1, 2, d, od...HELP!!!!!

My friend has an LT1 Camaro and I have an LS1 Firebird, both automatics. My transmission is numbered 1, 2, d, od. His is 2, d, and od. He asked me if there was a way to make his tranny like mine to where he can shift gears and put his car in first and keep it there like I can with mine? Anybody know anything that could help him out. He was going about 35-40mph and got beat by a mustang off the jump because his car didn't downshift to 1st, just ran out second gear. HOW EMBARRASING for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha!!!!! I laughed @ him. anyway...if you know of anything that could help him out let me know. Thanks!!!

Griff
Old 09-19-2005, 12:43 AM
12 Second Club

You should always keep your cars in drive for racing. You are using the same gears, just let the computer do the shifting for you. You will either shift too early or too late, it's not worth it.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

It probably didnt downshift to one because because his mph was past the set shift point for first gear. He doesn't have 1st selectable because his car has 2.73 gears. B.W is right, you shouldnt shift it yourself anyway. You can make it have a first gear though. Pop of the plastic cover and you will see a resistor block blocking out the selection of 1st gear. Take a knife or something and pop the bitch, you now can select first gear.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the early 90's due to some sound regulation apparently the good old epa(i think( )) determinded the lt1 was to loud to be pulled down into 1st manually. Its basically in the shifter.. If he can find a shifter and console out of a car that allows you to pull down into first he'll be able to do it.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah i know all that
But he doesnt need a new shifter. You can just cut out the little block that is stopping the car from going into first and then it is selectable. Do a search on yahoo if you want to see pics.