Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild/New Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rebuild/New Tranny?

Please see mods. I only had the transmission problems after I did the 3.73 gears. When at the track, given it was 100 degrees, I have been launching at 2500-2800 RPMs, my 60 foot was the same (1.8s), not better changing to the 3.73 gears, and when I am almost to the end of the track it would peg out and add seconds to my time! Obviously my tranny is failing me but what would you do? Rebuild/fix and put a 3 speed in it or just get a bullet-proof transmission. This car is primarily driven at the track twice a month; and once-in-a-blue-moon I will drive it 5 miles down the road to the lake. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks gotta go cry now!!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you launching so low with a 3500 stall. Kind of defeating the purpose of having it. I don't think anything you have stated is due to a bad transmission. And what do you mean exactly by peg out? Are you hitting the rev limiter? The 3.73's are going to make you run through your gears faster so you may have to use 4th to finish until you can get your power band extended.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

if your car is driven so seldomly why not get nuts with it??? that's what i want to know........ 4000+ stall, 4.10 gear....... MONSTER cam.

anyways... to try and help with your situation... i don't know what is causing your problem, but if you want to get a new trans, or a rebuild... i say go with a t350 or t400 trans with a manual valve body and a trans brake. LOTS OF FUN!!! very strong too.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Why are you launching so low with a 3500 stall. Kind of defeating the purpose of having it. I don't think anything you have stated is due to a bad transmission. And what do you mean exactly by peg out? Are you hitting the rev limiter? The 3.73's are going to make you run through your gears faster so you may have to use 4th to finish until you can get your power band extended.
Yes, I am hitting the rev limiter but the car is also not switching from 2nd-3rd fast enough. Sometimes not even at all. When I switched from 2.73 to 3.73 gears my 60' times stayed the same - 1.8s. I was expecting to be running 7.5s and a 1.6 60' time! How do I know for sure if I have a transmission problem? If you ask a shop of course they will say that is what is wrong because otherwise they would not be making that $3000+ job! Thanks for your help!!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
Yes, I am hitting the rev limiter but the car is also not switching from 2nd-3rd fast enough. Sometimes not even at all. When I switched from 2.73 to 3.73 gears my 60' times stayed the same - 1.8s. I was expecting to be running 7.5s and a 1.6 60' time! How do I know for sure if I have a transmission problem? If you ask a shop of course they will say that is what is wrong because otherwise they would not be making that $3000+ job! Thanks for your help!!

I made the same move you did from 2.73's to 3.73's. I was cutting 1.6's with the 3.73's AND ET Streets. You need to check the fluid in your tranny, need to keep it full. If you don't already have a tranny cooler you need one. Check the dipstick for a redish dust (kinda looks like the dipstick is rusting) that is clutch dust, not a good thing. Also, smell the fluid, does it smell worse than normal (I hate the smell of tranny fluid new or used ). The second to third shift seems like it is always the first to go but it may just be a little low on fluid (don't over fill to compensate). Good Luck! Keep me posted