LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Automatic Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/)
-   -   Anyone done a 4L80E in a turbo F-body? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/384361-anyone-done-4l80e-turbo-f-body.html)

BLUEBALLS ZZ 09-23-2005 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by imslow
i'm so fucking jelous... tell me more about it. i have a 400 w/ a r.m.v.b and a trans brake... i want an overdrive and a lock up converter with a t-brake and manual valve body... the works. how much did all that cost?

i didn;t get the transbrake. that you would have to talk to rosler about. i had it built here. bought everything else. the tranny with the converter cost me close to 2,200. thats built to the max with altro clutchs steel hub, 32 element sprags. etc.. the converter was 1000 alone. so thats not to bad, i was quoted 2800 with no stall at rossler with my core to build it with and that was if the parts in the tranny were good :cry: but rossler did have a transbrake

gator's 99TA 09-23-2005 10:57 PM

blueballz, i will have to stay updated with your combo and how it works out. i am wanting to run a 4L80e this coming year.

BLUEBALLS ZZ 09-24-2005 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
blueballz, i will have to stay updated with your combo and how it works out. i am wanting to run a 4L80e this coming year.

i finished up putting the tranny in tonight/morning.all the gears work. speedo pluged right into the speed sensor. i can't feel it lock up. no driveshaft in the car. so no load. but you can see the speedo jump everytime i shift it :chug: only thing now is that the oil pan is crack and leaking oil. guess the pressure plate did more damage then what i first expected :cry:

TwnTrboCE 09-25-2005 10:18 AM

I had Rossler build the first 4L80E with a trans brake and it is performing perfectly. I pull to the line put it in 3rd, push the button, mash it to the floor, let go of the button and the tranny does the rest, locking up midway thru 3rd. I use Big Stuff 3 to control it and a custom Midwest Racing converter with lockup. This is by far the best combo imaginable for my needs. I can take it to the track run a low 9 then drive it home on the highway at 80mph. :D This is not a cheap way to go though. I have $6000 in my setup but I can drive it anywhere and not have to worry about it.

The only thing I had to do to make it fit was to notch out a section of the tunnel brace for the large plug that goes into the side of the tranny. You can see the female end sticking off the side of the tranny in the picture above. It is the gray cylinder. My tranny uses the TOSS output for the speedo so I don't have a cable. I was able to tie this into the dash so my speedo works.

Dave D 09-25-2005 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Im looking at doing this swap also... only thing im lookin at is tunnel issues...I have some friends here in Vegas that build transmissions for quite a trophy trucks they are using 400's rightnow but building 80's with manual valve bodys...

No matter what, you will still be slow, Harley!! :gruffy:

PS go see my uncle's AAMCO on Valley View and DI and he can help you out. they have built a couple so far with the 4l80 and will prob go that route on mine when the ATI is installed.

DEEZ98Z 10-07-2005 01:24 PM

I have a 4L80E in the car right now :) My trans was built by a local guy but there is a sponsor or two that sell them. It is pretty much a direct swap. You will need a new converter, cross member, shifter and drive shaft. The only problem that I have seen with these transmission is there isn't a large selection of converters. I am looking for a better converter right now, either Fuddle or Vig because they gaurentee that you can lock up at WOT :drive: Here is a pics of my ratchet shifter installed for the trans.

http://community.webshots.com/album/470496523JoEVMV

CAT3 10-09-2005 01:36 PM

Did the 4L80E require some clearancing of the trans tunnel?

DEEZ98Z 10-09-2005 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by CAT3
Did the 4L80E require some clearancing of the trans tunnel?

No, I didn't have to clearance anything. I think the problems that people have is from the "plug" (not sure what you would call it). It is really close to the left side of the trans tunnel. Mine is cut down... most people pull them out when they rebuild he trans.