Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4T65E Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 4T65E Help

Ok I know this is not a trans that is supposed to be discussed here, but how different could it be from a 4L60E. I searched the web for a place to post this and couldn't find a good forum. If anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it!

If someone can help... Last night after driving for 2 hours at 85-90mph in my '97 Lesabre with 120k miles on it I noticed my tach reading 4000rpm... I don't know how long it was doing this

Obviously the thing was slipping. It appears to only slip in OD. The trans got smoking hot and boiled fluid out of the breather onto the pan, making a nice smell.

Will a fluid change help me... am I doomed to having something fixed and if so what could be wrong with it?

Brian
Old 09-23-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Man....

Sounds like the overdrive clutches were slipping and got really hot! If you change your tranny fluid then the tranny may go completely out. You're stuck like chuck on this one. Had a 03' windstar come in today that experienced the same problem with his and when the tranny was disassembled we found that it had caught fire internally. Good luck....
Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4th gear clutches in the 4t65e's are very weak...

Head over to www.clubgp.com/forum for some more help on the FWD tranny, there are a number of experts over there.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS_Geoff
The 4th gear clutches in the 4t65e's are very weak...

Head over to www.clubgp.com/forum for some more help on the FWD tranny, there are a number of experts over there.
EDIT: Oh, and ditto on the trans fluid change being a bad idea. You could drop the pan and just do a simple change, but that's probably still bad news. Of course, a flush is ALWAYS out of the question.

actual EDIT: somehow I quoted myself instead of editing the original.... OOPS!
Old 09-24-2005, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the resource and info, I'll go over there and check it out. I think I'm screwed. I'm not even sure I'm gonna bother with the fluid change and just pull the thing This is my daily driver, I don't want to work on it!

Luckily I work at GM and there are several guys there that could rebuild one of these with their eyes closed, not free though...

Brian