Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail-Housing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tail-Housing Replacement

Anyone have a write up for replacing a tail-housing?

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

A4:
1. Disconnect battery
2. Jack up the car on all 4 corners (so that you can have easy access) or put the car on a lift
3. Remove the driveshaft
4. Loosen the 2 long bolts at the end of the torque arm (on the diff)
5. Raise diff with a jack so that it is positioned with the drivetrain...then remove the 2 long bolts from the torque arm, then pull the torque arm off of the diff...youcan now lower the diff because you will need it on the next step
6. Secure tranny with a jack and a piece of plywood (so that it won't tilt down on next step) and take out the tranny mount bolt in the middle of the tranny crossmember
7. Take off the 4 bolts on the tranny mounts and remove trannt crossmember
8. Disconnect the speedo sensor on the tailshaft
9. Loosen the torque arm bushing bolts...then disconnect the tranny vent tube attached to the torque are...now remove the torque arm
10. There are 6 tailshaft bolts...remove the lower bolts holding the tailshaft to the transmission...now lower the tranny a bit with the jack, so that you are able to reach the other tailshaft bolts
11. Remove the remaining tailshaft housing
* you might have to remove the tranny mount and the torque arm bracket (clamps) if you're not able to slide out the tailshaft...it isn't that a big of the deal with my car (off-road Y-PIPE)

Thats pretty much it, replace the new tailshaft with the gasket and tailshaft seal (rear) and follow the steps in reverse order
*make sure that the diff is raised when you try to put the torque arm back on

I've already replaced y tailshaft 2x and I bought the BMR torque arm relocation kit, BMR control arm reloaction brackets, BMR tubular subframe connectors, polyurethane tranny mount bushing, polyurethane torque arm bushing, and an aluminum driveshaft to help this problem not occur again...I hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks, This is the second time it's happened, hopefully before I add more mods, I can get the additional parts to replace before another dynotune.

Would I be able to use a set of ramps and raise the car from the rear to replace?

Where did you get your tailhousing parts? dealers want $245

Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

I think it should be fine raising the rear with the ramps.
$245 is what the dealer wanted to charge me too, I got a hold of a small transmission shop here in San Antonio...he only charged me $30 for the tailshaft and $15 for the speedo sensor
Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Perfect Z, where did you get your Poly Tranny Mount and what was the part number? I have been looking for one, and the only pictures I have seen have three small holes on the bottom, which is where it mounts to the crossmember. My stock mount has one LARGE bolt in it. If your poly mount came with three small holes what type of modification did you have to make to make it work? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vinnie
Perfect Z, where did you get your Poly Tranny Mount and what was the part number? I have been looking for one, and the only pictures I have seen have three small holes on the bottom, which is where it mounts to the crossmember. My stock mount has one LARGE bolt in it. If your poly mount came with three small holes what type of modification did you have to make to make it work? Thanks.
No mods for the polyurethane mount...just use the middle hole when you're attaching it to the crossmember.
I purchased the mount at AUTOZONE...it was like $24.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Cool Thanks!

Quick Reply: Tail-Housing Replacement