Sponsored by:

Prothane mount installed, not as bad as I thought

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prothane mount installed, not as bad as I thought

Car: 1997 LT1 A4

I just had a Prothane trans mount installed the other day. After reading tons of posts from multiple F-Body boards, I was expecting the worst rattles to be expected. Well after a short drive today, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, I do feel a tiny bit more vibration through the interior, but nothing that would make want to put the rubber mount back in. I know that the level of vibration is subjective to the driver, but I am finicky when it comes to ride comfort [believe me, the roads in my area SUCK!]. I ordered the Prothane mount through Spohn.

For a comparison, if anyone has seen the engine bay of a W-Body from 1989-1996 [Grand Prix, Cutlass, Lumina, Regal, Monte Carlo], then you know they have a set of upper motor mounts [from the engine itself to the core support]. I had a set of polyurethane bushings installed in a set of billet aluminum replacement mounts. It vibrated the car so bad I thought it was going to fall apart! The vibration went away after a weeks worth of driving. Compared to the Prothane tranny mount, the Prothane is no where near the amount of vibration I felt in the W-Body.

If anything, I think I MIGHT have heard something tap the transmission tunnel. I have yet to take the car to higher speeds on the highway to see if I feel any increased vibration at higher speed/rpm's. I'll be more then likely to replace the stock unbalanced steel driveshaft with an aluminum one from an LS1 by Christmas.