Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Lock Up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Lock Up!

A while back I posted about having some weird lock up issues with my converter on the highway, well i decided to make a 25+ mile trip to the local race track this friday and on the way there with my front runners and rear drag radials, i noticed that my converter doesn't unlock!!!! wtf? I thought it was just a fluke so i switched to my regular street tires "black Zr1's w/ nitto 555 tires and sumitomo 315 rears" and guess what the friggin! converter locks and unlocks randomly for about 5-10 min at a time!, so i switched back to my drag trim "weld pro-stars" and such and problem went away? what can cause this?? I don't want to be driving on my drag trim just for my converter to stay locked

Eddie
Old 11-05-2005, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

hey eddie robs car was doing the same thing on the way home. never noticed it with the street tires on it though. good luck
Old 11-11-2005, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

can the mods move this to the pcm section?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

check your missfire codes, it might not set the ses light but there will be missfires espically with a converter over 3,200 stall.. The computer senses the pulses from the motor per revloution to sense missfires. Once you change the weight of the converter it throws thoes pulses off and will set random missfire codes and will lock and ulock the converter randomly(search for a post My converter locks/unlocks randomly fix). Now my best guess with you switching the tires, you are changing the pulses per mile which might make the computer think everything is fine, switch to another set of tires and the pulses/vibrations per mile might be too high and cause false missfires... Thats my guess.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

I just switched to my street trim and it won't lock up! ttt
Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
check your missfire codes, it might not set the ses light but there will be missfires espically with a converter over 3,200 stall.. The computer senses the pulses from the motor per revloution to sense missfires. Once you change the weight of the converter it throws thoes pulses off and will set random missfire codes and will lock and ulock the converter randomly(search for a post My converter locks/unlocks randomly fix). Now my best guess with you switching the tires, you are changing the pulses per mile which might make the computer think everything is fine, switch to another set of tires and the pulses/vibrations per mile might be too high and cause false missfires... Thats my guess.
can the pulses/mile be changed using hp tuners? and to what specs?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Ok guys, I finally got the techII and on a way to a party, it was driving perfect until about 20 min into the drive when it started to unlock, so I opened up the misfire graphic and when it would lock up all the misfires would light up especially 1, 7, and 4. Should I disable the misfires or should I move the threshold???

Eddie