Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny swap flexplate questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny swap flexplate questions

I've been doing a bit of searching on the site about what I am trying to do. I'm going to put a 700r4 with a LS1 in a 3rd gen I have. My only deal is the flexplate and spacer deal. I've seen some people say the you have to put the spacer to the outside of the plate and some say between the crank and the plate. There are also some people saying you have to use a 5.3 or 6.0 flexplate because it is flat as opposed to dished like the LS1 plate. Now if I were to run the LS1 plate I think I could put the spacer to the outside just to locate the hub of the converter, but if I were to use a 6.0 plate I would have to put the spacer between the plate and the crank to relocate the teeth of the flexplate back into place and also the hub of the converter would fit in place then.

Just to make a long question short. Couldn't I just installthe spacer to the outside of the flexplate with the LS1 plate? That should keep the plate in position for the starter and converter bolts and also locate the hub of the converter.

does this sound about right?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
FormerVendor

someone has to know
Old 01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not 100% sure about these conversions, but isn't the 700R4 the EXACT same tranny minus all the electronics? I'm assuming a standard LS1 flexplate will fit the 700r4 no problem. If not, and a spacer is necessary, I don't see how a spacer on the outside of the flexplate is a good idea. If the space is between the flexplate and converter, wouldn't you need some extra long screws to catch the threads of the converter?

Sorry I can't be of more help, just offering my 0.02 on what I THINK you're talking about.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Dustin,
Your factory flexplate has the wrong bolt pattern for the 700R4 torque converter. You can use TCI's 399753 flexplate. It'll bolt up to your engine and converter. We also recently started including a spacer to accomodate the shorter pilot length of the 700R4 style converters.
Kevin