Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimal Trans Temps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i consider anywhere up to 180 degrees to be good
200 degrees is an alarming temperature..
220 degrees, and you might want to pull over and cool down. definitely dont go WOT at that point..
Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

ok awesome thanks! Any idea what this extra fan i have is?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-25-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superman09
ok awesome thanks! Any idea what this extra fan i have is?
it might not be an extra fan, it just might be a manual switch for your "regular" fan.
see if it goes on when you flip the switch.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok, when my car is shut off, i flip the switch and i hear the fan on, even with all stuff off, i dont even no where the fan is, i jsut hear it. Maybe it is just a manual switch or maybe an extra fan.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, when my car is shut off, i flip the switch and i hear the fan on, even with all stuff off, i dont even no where the fan is, i jsut hear it. Maybe it is just a manual switch or maybe an extra fan.
my bet its the fan mounted on the radiator.
with the car off, flip the switch, and more likely than not - youll see it spin.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever think about getting out of your car when this mystery fan is on and seeing where it is?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

kirby, all your problems have nothing to do with trans temp. You have a computer issue (code p0757) that needs to be deleated. Your trans is not overheating, if you brake stall past 3,500 or so rpm the computer will see that the converter is slipping too much and lock you out of all gears but one. You dont need to wait for it to cool down and to prove it to you that its a computer issue go out somewhere and brake stall it past 3,500 and get it to lock you out of the other gears. Simply pull over and shut the car off, wait a few seconds and then restart the car. I will bet any money all your gears are back. The p0757 code is a common one with any converter over 3,200-3,400rpm.. Just do a search for it or a search of posts made by me.. I had the same issue after my fuddle 3,800 stall and thought i too toasted the trans and it got too hot, not the case. Pm me if you need some help..
Old 01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

This site has a neat little chart in regards to heat and life expectancy of a tranny...

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/TransTemp.htm
Old 01-27-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Update: Well, I finally remembered to call the tranny shop today and ask what brand cooler they installed. Wouldn't ya know that after all this time of looking for a good transmission rebuilder, the dude that built mine has moved to Florida? Anyway, the guy I talked with on the phone said it had to be a severe duty Hayden unit, but he didn't know which one...WTF???
Don't shops keep records of this ****??? Idiots!!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the B&M 24K Super Cooler hooked in-line with the radiator as shown in the instructions. It never overheats. I have a Fan Switch and the computer was also tuned to turn on the fans earlier. Temps in the desert avgerage 105+ in the summer.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Just put on a 22000 perma cool on my relatively stock 96(lt1). Also had it connected the same way as shown in the directions through the radiatior. Will having a stock tranny w/ the cooler in line help with temps or should i redo it and completely eliminate the radiator(i really dont want to go back through all the work if possible). Keeping in mind that i have a stock converter, and only mods are intake, headers, and gears. Just wanting to make sure i didnt do more harm then good here.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

With your mods I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm not really suggesting that anyone ignore the manufacturer's directions...just sharing my personal experience with a transmission shop, that has done good by me, so far.

All I can say is, I've never been happier with my tranny temps. Don't know if this is for everyone or not, but it sure gives me a good feeling every time I look at the trans temp, and it always reads from the 150's to the 170's.
Before this change my temps were constantly in the 210 to 220 range, and followed my coolant temps up and down.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
kirby, all your problems have nothing to do with trans temp. You have a computer issue (code p0757) that needs to be deleated. Your trans is not overheating, if you brake stall past 3,500 or so rpm the computer will see that the converter is slipping too much and lock you out of all gears but one. You dont need to wait for it to cool down and to prove it to you that its a computer issue go out somewhere and brake stall it past 3,500 and get it to lock you out of the other gears. Simply pull over and shut the car off, wait a few seconds and then restart the car. I will bet any money all your gears are back. The p0757 code is a common one with any converter over 3,200-3,400rpm.. Just do a search for it or a search of posts made by me.. I had the same issue after my fuddle 3,800 stall and thought i too toasted the trans and it got too hot, not the case. Pm me if you need some help..
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I'm also getting the 2nd gear issue. I know it's the computer because I can either turn the car off for a few minutes and first comes back or I can manually put the shifter into 1st then back into drive and 1st comes back. Need to get those codes deleted and I also ordered a deeper transmission pan to help with the cooling. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I'm also getting the 2nd gear issue. I know it's the computer because I can either turn the car off for a few minutes and first comes back or I can manually put the shifter into 1st then back into drive and 1st comes back. Need to get those codes deleted and I also ordered a deeper transmission pan to help with the cooling. Hope this helps.
Would you happen to have a brand name for the deeper pan?? I did see pics of a really good one with cooling vanes like pipes running through it, but can't find it now.
Cheers
Old 03-27-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roarin_8

just have po757 code turned off. Are you having any lock up issues(locking/unlocking randomly) You in nj i can help you out programming if you want, maybe you can show me how you got your great times
Old 03-28-2006, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tonner
Would you happen to have a brand name for the deeper pan?? I did see pics of a really good one with cooling vanes like pipes running through it, but can't find it now.
Cheers

It's from TCI and I got it through speedinc.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
just have po757 code turned off. Are you having any lock up issues(locking/unlocking randomly) You in nj i can help you out programming if you want, maybe you can show me how you got your great times

I'm not having any lockup issues. I'm getting the code fixed at TTP since I'm getting headers and their cam installed. Just waiting on QTP to finish making their batch. Once that's all done, we can meet up somewhere and I'll show you how I launch the car. I'll be heading to ATCO to see how the new setup works, maybe we can meet there.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In traffic with 85*-90* temps, mine gets up to about 220-230 range and I have a B&M 29,200 cooler ... gettin' the deep pan in hopes it will help in traffic. That's hotter than I want to run in any situation. On the road (highway/interstate driving), mine stays well below 180 on the hottest days ... 100*+. I think adding 3 quarts with that pan will correct the higher temps in traffic.