Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no 2nd and 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no 2nd and 4th gear

I had a code come up after I got my new trans in, P1870, which applies to the tcc slippage....any way cleared it several times, when it was cleared car drove fine....now I don't have any codes (I scanned it) but I have no 2nd or 4th gear....I have reverse....whats the problem, how do I fix it and how much is it gonna cost??! ANYONE!!!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Banned

mechanical failure of the sun shell or band is probable cause.this will not allow the planetaries in the rear of the trans to be overdriven in 2nd and 4th to produce these ratios.also verify that the shift valve is not stuck or the solenoid is failed .sometimes the solenoid will fail and not trip a code if the resistance the computer measures across it is not affected by the mechanical failure of the solenoid.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:14 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default no 2nd & no 4th thats strange

Sorry to hear about that. Your problem relates to band inside the trans. It's more than likely smoked. As far as what is it going to cost, that depends on what you want to do. Everybody has the old local guy, who always does great work!LOL I do know but in the trans bizz you get what you pay for. My vote for a rebuild would be FLT(www.finishlinetrans.com). They build many different levels of the A4. All of which are quality units that are fully DYNO tested. Check them out, they can help!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it shift 1st to 3rd, or does it try 2nd and spins loose...?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

First question (did you just put a converter in). If so you just have a tuning issue. If not the shift solenoids are probably bad and need to be changed, no big deal 30 dollar part and all you have to do is remove the trans pan, take out the retaining clip and slide the old one out and disconnect the power cable, install the new one and connect the power cable, install trans pan and refill fluid.