Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trashed new built A4 in 21 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trashed new built A4 in 21 miles

Long story short but I had a 4l60e built by a performance builder.
In 21 miles 3rd gear was trashed. I took it back and he can't find anything really wrong with it other that the 3rd gear clutch I smoked. He said the bolts on the pressure switch seemed a little loose and might have been loosing pressure there. Anyone ever heard of that happening?

9 months of collecting parts and building as time allowed and I had to pull it apart after driving 1/2 way to work the first day on the road.

Last edited by gearheads78; 03-17-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

A few things come to mind.

Who built this?
You say you had it built. Then at the end you say you saved up 9 months and built as time allowed and YOU had to pull it apart. Now who built it?

Heres a tip for the next time, pay attention to the third gear shift. If it burned up that soon it must have had a dragged out 2-3 shift.
What would happen if you gave it throttle in third, must have slipped from the start, from mile 1.

Ever do a pressure test on it? Have a gauge hooked up next time.

What could cause this? A cut seal on the apply piston, a cut or nicked sealing ring, a bad checkball capsule, 3-4 helper springs installed wrong, 3-4 clearance way too big, band clearance too tight.
Depending on how many 2-3 shifts you did, it mosy likely burned up in fourth.
I would think giving it gas you would notice it slipping right away, before it fried.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was only driving easy every thing felt OK. It was right after I got on it once that I noticed the difference.

It was built by a local race transmission builder.

When I say 9 months of saving and building I mean the whole car, motor trans, 12 bolt, suspension, custom exhaust ect ect. I do all my own work other than internal tranny work. Its just a little street turd to tide me over untill I can rebuild my Malibu. It will have a 'glide so don't need to worry about this trying to make an overdrive survive crap.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I was only driving easy every thing felt OK. It was right after I got on it once that I noticed the difference.

It was built by a local race transmission builder.

When I say 9 months of saving and building I mean the whole car, motor trans, 12 bolt, suspension, custom exhaust ect ect. I do all my own work other than internal tranny work. Its just a little street turd to tide me over untill I can rebuild my Malibu. It will have a 'glide so don't need to worry about this trying to make an overdrive survive crap.
Well like 8a8mfh said whoever this " professional " is I think he needs to look for a new line of work. What builder is going to incriminate himself by telling you that he found some bolts loose on the pressure manifold and that he cant find anything wrong? He sounds like he has about as much knowledge and confidence working on a transmission as a cashier at walmart would have. He also obviously doesnt know how it works and probably cant read a apply chart , guys like this give this transmission industry a bad rap. Getting high and drunk on the job dont clash ,If you have any questions or need help feel free to ask because it sounds like this guy is going to try to get some more cash from you.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The guy has a good reputation around here. He didn't charge me anything to
build it again. Averyone makes mistakes now and again. Hopefully thats all it was. I mainly wanted to know if he did accidently leave the presure manifold loose could that have caused my problem. He showed me my 3rd gear clutches and some were to the metal.
Also if it make any difference it is vacuum modulated.

I'm going to put it back in the weekend and see how it goes.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I a couple of years ago I had my A4 built by a local trans shop that builds performance trannys. 3rd gear went out very soon afterwards. I took it back, had it rebuilt again under warranty, same thing happened.
It turned out he was trying some new parts in it, and he later realized that they weren't working properly and were causing 3rd gear to burn out. Atleast thats what he told me..