Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E no go

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E no go

I just installed my new transmission and after adjusting the shift cable and adding fluid I finally got it started. The problem is i don't have any gears. The light on the dash comes on under each gear but the truck won't move in any gear. Whats the deal? Any help you guys could offer would be great.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

ummmmm doesn't sound good...lets start here ...how much fliud did you put in?? Are you sure you had the torque converter all the way in??? Very common for the converter to slide forward on the install...You didn't force the transmission to the back of the engine??? pull the dip stick with the car off...note where the fliud is on the stick....start the car in park and re check the level...it should have fallen ..if not you more than likely have a miss stab on your hands ...Hope this helps..Dave
Old 04-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Teching In

The converter was all the way in and the transmission slid onto the motor very smoothly. I rotated the converter while a friend pushed the transmission forward to make sure nothing bound up. I believe the oil stays at a constant level but I will go check. I added about six quarts.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure all the electrical conections are snug in the tranny..thats all i have..
Old 04-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Teching In

I forgott to mention it has a TCI deep pan and filter. Is six quarts not enough oil. When I first started the truck there was oil on the dipstick and the level never seemed to change. Now after it has sat for about a half an hour the level seems low. Whats the deal?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slimcracka
make sure all the electrical conections are snug in the tranny..thats all i have..
I assume if it was ellectrical I would still have reverse at least. As I understand it the electronics only come in to play when the tranny shifts from say first to second or second to third. Who knows I could be wrong, I will check them.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

6 quarts? tray adding about 2 more plus what ever the deep pan recommends.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Launching!

did you put any fluid in the converter when you installed it?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:27 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much fluid total have you put into the unit. I would think that about 10-12 quarts at least. If not you got a problem.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
How much fluid total have you put into the unit. I would think that about 10-12 quarts at least. If not you got a problem.
when i changed my converter and added a deep pan it took about 12 quarts.. so your def. short a couple.. did you add fluid ad go threw the gears in the driveway slowly while running and then put it in park and check the fluid..?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I added fluid until it was full on the dipstick then started it. Usually it draws fluid out of the pan and I just keep adding it to keep it at the full line until no more was need. I think there must have been some sort of are buble at the pump because I was able to pull a cooller line and use a vacum style pump to draw fluid through the transmission. Once I did this everything seemed to work.
I did have to readjust the shift cable after about two two three hours of driving. Is this normal? Thanks for all the help. I wish I would have found this forum sooner.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Which cooler line did you pull (cooler or return)...?