Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter lock-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter lock-up

is it possible through HP tuners to program the converter to lock up when you want it, so as to make a larger stall converter (3600+ rpm) more daily driveable? Also I am curious, because my exhaust will draw a lot of attention if it isn't locking up around town...
Old 05-08-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yes but you aren't going to want to do it at low speeds or your car will bog and be really hard to drive.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Yes but you aren't going to want to do it at low speeds or your car will bog and be really hard to drive.
Agree. I don't know how some guys stand to have it lock up at low speeds - it's a drag to drive. I eliminated lock-up in third and set it to 42mph in fourth and it still bogs at that speed - even with 3.42's.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natronathon
is it possible through HP tuners to program the converter to lock up when you want it, so as to make a larger stall converter (3600+ rpm) more daily driveable? Also I am curious, because my exhaust will draw a lot of attention if it isn't locking up around town...
This is how my car is setup right now. I have a switch that i use to lock it up, its called the cruise control switch! I removed TC lockup on all speeds during all driving condition except cruise. I figure, I am either beating on it, on the side roads or wanting to cruise on the freeways. Now I can. I kept the stock cruise control lock-up table and just flip the switch when I want it to lock up, then turn off cruise and it unlocks.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Some bad advice in this thread bud. My old car setup locked up at 35mph in 3rd and like 40mph in 4th. No bucking or bogging for me.

Whenever you decide to do a converter hit me up with a pm and i'll explain some things to you. And show you how to hook up the cooler and all that...Later

Oh and you can tune it to lock up at lower speeds if you want. My tuner has done it to mine and others around here.