Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m6 to th400

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default m6 to th400

I have slow slow dial up, so searching through thousands of threads and posts is going to take way to long to do.

I have a couple questions regaurding my 99 ls1 m6 SS.

What crossmember are you guys using?

Will stock torque arm work or do I need an aftermarket one?

What about stock aluminum driveshaft for my stock 10 bolt? I will be switching eventually to a strange dana 60 but not for a couple months.

Any flexplate for an ls1 work?

Will stock m6 counsil work or will I need an a4 one? I'm going to be using a forward manual valve body.

Which shifter is going to be good, is there a universal shifter for reverse manual and forward manual incase I want to switch?

You guys that have rmvb t-brake setups, are you having issues with driving them on the street as far as wear and tear on the tranny?

Anything else that I am missing? Speedo gears? Reluctor ring? dipstick?

Thanks a ton. Again, I appoligize for the questions without searching.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is for my th350, but should be similar for the th400

I'm using a modified stock crossmember. It basically has a piece of square iron/metal/something welded on to it, to help hold the tranny mount. BMR makes lighter, nicer looking pieces, but they can be pricey

I was using a stock torque arm, but have recently upgraded. You will need to purchase at least a torque arm relocation kit (B&M makes it, called a changeover kit or something. It lists them for the 82-92 cars, but it will work for 82-02). This piece will hook on to your tailshaft, so if you buy this I reccomend installing it on the trans BEFORE the trans is installed in the car. It was a pain in the *** getting those bolts off with the trans mounted Other than that, any chassis mounted torque arm will work for you. Also, BMR's crossmembers can come with a torque arm relocation, so you could knock out both the crossmember and torque arm issue with one product. That's what I should have done in the first place...maybe I should get around to it

If you use a 9" tailshaft, you can use the stock driveshaft. I'm using my stocker driveshaft

I've heard you have to use the 1998 LS1 flexplate for the th350, so that's what I used. I'm guessing that is the same for the th400

I use a stock M6 console for mine. B&M universal ratchet shifter and a B&M billet handle, it looks stock (minus the handle)

I'd reccomend the shifter I mentioned above, the B&M universal ratchet. It can be used for both forward and reverse patterns, it has the reverse lockout if you need it (I don't, since I use neutral for reverse), and if you wanted to spend the money, you can get an RPM activated solenoid that will actually shift for you while racing

I don't really have any issues driving my RMVB tranny brake th350 on the street, but I do beat on it quite a bit. It takes what I give it, and asks for more. It's running just as good now as the day I put it in

As for the speedo, I'm not sure. SUX2BU had a write-up on how to get it to work, but I have not played with it

As far as the dipstick, you're going to want to get a flex one. Lokar makes great ones, try to get the longest one you possibly can. I think they make 36" long ones, possibly longer. Mine is only about 30" long or so, and I wish I had that extra 6" that I'm losing, but it is possible to use the shorter ones. Just have to be cautious and not burn your hand if the car is not cool when checking fluid levels
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man
Old 05-25-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not a problem, let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned

Good luck with the swap.

Are you going to be selling the T56??
Old 05-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

no, Im keeping it just until I get my 1990 BB notch completed. Then I'm going back to the 6spd in my ss.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

I used the stock M6 counsel with a B&M Hammer shifter here is a picture of it before the counsel goes on. You will need a frame mounted torque arm, or there are a few companies out there that make a TH400 crossmember with a built in TA mount. You will need a Lockar 36" dipstick, and a reluctor ring and speedometer pickup sensor. I got the sensor of e-bay for $24 new, and the gear from GM Parts direct for about $70. The shifter comes with 2 microswitched. To one you huckup your revers lights the other is for the wires coming from your clutch switch now and they will be your Park.Neutras safety switch.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...05-cage017.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...UT/hammer4.jpg

Last edited by NEVR2ND; 05-26-2006 at 11:18 AM.