Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flash stall

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default flash stall

can someone explain the difference between brake stall and flash stall? i can only take my car up to 2,000 rpm's at the line and my front tires start to roll? i have abs delete,stock pads and proportioning valve that's all to the front?
Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between "brake stall" and "flash stall"?

3. Flash stall is the maximum your engine's torque can stall a torque converter. In essence flash stall and full stall are nearly identical. If you had a transbrake, you could find full stall by putting your foot to the floor and reading your tach. For argument sake, let's say we're testing a 3500 stall Yank ST 3500. If you had a transbrake, you would see around 3500 rpms. If your motor was at idle and then you suddenly floored the throttle, you might see slightly more (maybe 100 rpm more) stall for a half second as the momentum of the motor's internals "flashed" the converter a small bit above its true stall rating.

Brake stall, on the other hand is a very subjective thing. For most, it's the highest stall you can achieve before your tires spin. This varies greatly based on many factors: Traction, gearing, brake clamping force, and engine torque. With a ST3500, I may only be able to get 2200rpm "brake stall" on the street with street tires...any higher rpm and the motor torque would overwhelm the tires. But if I was at the track with racing slicks on the starting line, I might be able to get 3200 brake stall before the motor torque overwhelmed the tires. See...brake stall is very subjective.

Yank rates their converters based on their intended application. A ST 3500 will stall 3500 rpms in a stock LS1. If you had a 422 and wanted a ST 3500, the converter you received would still stall 3500 because it would be built around the torque of a 422, not a stock displacement LS1. Yank checks the stall of their converters and their competitors by using either a trasmission dyno or a "tranny tricker" in the vehicle tested. With the tranny tricker, you can place the vehicle in 2nd or 3rd gear and stab the throttle to the floor...making it easy to read both flash stall and full stall.

http://www.converter.cc/faq/faq.htm