Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Manual Valve Body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006 | 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Default 4L60E Manual Valve Body?

Hey guys need to know where i can get a 4l60e manual valve body preferable forward but i guess reverse would work thnx.
Old 07-27-2006 | 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you want one? You can't outshift the computer. Once your shift points are programed into the computer it will shift at the same rpm on every run. You are just adding another variable which can't make your car any faster but can make it slower.
Old 07-28-2006 | 12:24 AM
9 Second Club

call dave at rock-on and talk to him about that, my tranny has a MVB that dave built for me.
Old 07-28-2006 | 08:37 AM
On The Tree

i understand the whole computer thing but trust me it is more consistant if you can shift it the same everytime the computer will no be exact why not next time at the track look at all of the real race cars with real manual valve bodies. not being ignorant but just from my expierense why would everyone have them if they were inconsitant.
Old 07-28-2006 | 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Cause they do not have a computer. The computer will be more consistant then you. If you look at the really consistant guys at the tack they are using a manual valve body but using a computer and a solinoid to shift for them. This is because a human will never be as accurate and or as consistant then a computer. ALso you do not have the power or quarter times to justify anything more radiacal then what you have now.
Old 07-28-2006 | 09:07 AM
Tech Resident

i agree. get a transgo shift kit. shift it manually (up only of course, never down) for fun but race in D/3.
Old 07-28-2006 | 09:17 AM
On The Tree

yes the fast, consistant cars like say our 7.70s dragster that is air shifted via rpm controller yet the problem is my car does shift different everytime only the 1-2 shift sometimes its like 5800 other times its 6100 but when it goes 5800 first round and i'm dialed off the 6100 shift im screwed ok i guess they don't have any but oh well thnx anyway.
Old 07-28-2006 | 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Cause they do not have a computer. The computer will be more consistant then you. If you look at the really consistant guys at the tack they are using a manual valve body but using a computer and a solinoid to shift for them. This is because a human will never be as accurate and or as consistant then a computer. ALso you do not have the power or quarter times to justify anything more radiacal then what you have now.
i totally agree...getting a manual valve body to shift by urself will not be faster. ive seen guys at the track that have CO2 shifting thier manual valve bodies becuase they dont have a full computer in the car and more importantly because it is faster to have a solenoid or compressed air shift at a specific RPM than for the driver to try and react in time.
Old 07-28-2006 | 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slvr98z28
yes the fast, consistant cars like say our 7.70s dragster that is air shifted via rpm controller yet the problem is my car does shift different everytime only the 1-2 shift sometimes its like 5800 other times its 6100 but when it goes 5800 first round and i'm dialed off the 6100 shift im screwed ok i guess they don't have any but oh well thnx anyway.
im not a tuning expert, but maybe the goofy shifts have to do with your torque management...at least that what it sounds like u described with the RPM's not being consistent.
Old 07-28-2006 | 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slvr98z28
been doing a little research
this looks like it could be your problem

TM = Torque Management

"TM is a function designed into the PCM to keep the transmission from breaking prematurely. The PCM will pull timing out just before the shifts (mostly in the autos) to bleed off some power until the shift is made. The PCM does it so quick that you really don't get the feel that it is happening. Most times when you go to the track is when it rears its head. You may have a car that makes the numbers to turn a certain ET range and yet the car doesn't lay the number because of this. We use EFI Live software and can log data that shows the timing being pulled out. Many times it can be disabled with tuning. It seems as if this varies through the years.

Turning TM all together is not always recommended with an auto as it will keep thr tranny living longer. TM an also be "reduced" as opposed to totally disabling it. On the street it is not too much if a factor for normal driving."
Old 07-28-2006 | 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also remember that our factory tachs suck and are very inaccurate. Mine is off a little over 300 rpm at 6500. The Computer will shift at the correct rpm regardless of what the factory tach says unless there is knock retard or the throttle position switch isn't showing fully opened which is usually caused by a floor mat getting bunched up under the gas pedal and keeping it from going full throttle. We aren't trying to be wise asses, we are trying to save you some money and help keep you fast and consistant.
Old 07-28-2006 | 01:25 PM
On The Tree

oh no I understand no offense taken just trying to learn maybe the tm is what's screwing me thnx ill look into tuning that out
Old 07-28-2006 | 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way......nice looking Z.