Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Tranny issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Tranny issues?

I went to the track last night and ran good my first pass. On the next pass the car reved to 4k and wouldn't go. I got out of it and got back in it thinking the tires were spinning and it did the same thing, reved to 4k and wouldn't pull hardly at all. The following pass was the same thing.

The car drives fine while normal driving. Everything shifts like it should, the power feels fine. Under WOT, the rpms shoot to 4k and and I have no power. It feels like I'm pulling a huge boat anchor or something.

This is with a new RPM motorsports stage 4 tranny. It has less than 2k miles on it. Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:35 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you getting any codes? Also which gear does this happen in or is all of them? Vince
Old 10-07-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not getting any codes that I know of. It pretty much happens from the time I put my foot in it. I don't even think it's shifting. It's like I'm starting off in 4th with the converter locked.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem but only in OD and D! when its in first gear it runs through the rpms fine! it is the exact same problem for sure! when it happens at the track it seens like it is jsut in 2nd gear the whole time but im sure the converter is just locking up for some reason!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

converter issues? since you have an aftermarket stall that will flash to ~4,000 rpm's, it sounds like it's a problem with that. if it shifts fine under normal driving, i doubt it's trans slippage or anything. my money is on the stall for sure. get it scanned like vince said.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

getting it scanned i a good idea , but like vince i dont have enough information , you say it revs to 4000 rpm but also that it acts like the converter is locked and you have a heavy load which would be a very different thing and it would hardly rev at all ,
So do you mean it revs free but barley moves or does it bog down ,
If it reving free thee are several possibilites ,
1-converter sprag is letting loose under full throttle load .
l2-low sprag is letting loose under full throttle load (this can be tested does it still do it in manual low)
3- forward sprag is letting loose under load (test this by taking off in the d position )
4- some electrical fault turning solinods off at wot loose ground or wiring issue making a 3rd gear start and with a stall the high it would feel like it was just slipping and would barley move but this should show up on a scan ,
Hope this is usefull
www.performabuilt.com
Old 10-08-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

It revs free up to ~4k under wot, which is where I think the converter stalls to now with the bigger motor, then it just sits there. It won't go any higher. My mph will move up slowly, but the rpms won't. I guess it bogs down. That's when it feels like I'm towing something really heavy and the car doesn't want to go.

Here's the time slips from the first pass and then the second:
1st pass | 2nd pass (trans issue)
60' 1.91 | 60' 2.30 (no tire spin)
1/8 7.55 | 1/8 9.74
MPH 96.4 | MPH 75.9
1/4 11.64 | 1/4 14.68
MPH 120.4 | MPH 102.5

The first pass was the first time I've ever ran with the new set-up. I left at idle and rolled into it trying not to flash the converter. It wasn't an all out run. The second pass was with me flashing the converter and trying to get a good run. That's when the problems started.

I'll get it scanned and see what shows up.

I'll also check these:
1-converter sprag is letting loose under full throttle load .
2-low sprag is letting loose under full throttle load (this can be tested does it still do it in manual low)
3- forward sprag is letting loose under load (test this by taking off in the d position )
4- some electrical fault turning solinods off at wot loose ground or wiring issue making a 3rd gear start and with a stall the high it would feel like it was just slipping and would barley move but this should show up on a scan
I'm hoping it's just #4. That sounds like what it's doing.

Thanks that's very helpful.

Last edited by firechicken_98; 10-08-2006 at 11:50 AM.