Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tech help 4l60e BINDS????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006 | 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Default Need tech help 4l60e BINDS????

Am posting this for a friend. (Who should have bought a 6 speed)
The car is a 2000 ss with h/c and boltons 48k miles.
It has a vigilante 3200 stall.
The trans was rebuilt about 6,000 miles ago, but had the same problem with the old trans. did the same thing.
The problem he is having is under partial throttle it will bind when it is supposed to shift into 2nd. It doesn't happen every time and only happen when the tranny is up to running temp.
It feels like its trying to hold 2 gears at once???? I think it is a valve body problem where fluid is leaking past a valve that is supposed to be closed but is letting pressure bleed off to another passage.
He swears it is a computer problem (but there are no codes).
We have also been told it was the tune, had it retuned, didn't fix anything.
Was told it might be the stall but it only has about 15k on it and it seem fine to me.
We have taken it to a few transmissions shop but they can't seem to figure it out. (some won't even work on it)
If anybody has any idea on what it might be post it up.
He is about ready to torch the car because he has been dicking around trying to fix it for over a year and has cost him more money than I want to think about.
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-10-2006 | 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

Default Binding on 2-3 shift

It could be the 3rd acumulator check encapsulated check ball in the case , it may be getting stuck in some way , either venting a portion of the third clutch oil or blocking its entry into the servo , Heres how it works when you shift to second the second clutch oil applys the band via the servo , the apply side has less area that the back side , When the transmision goes to shift into 3rd the third clutch oil comes into the back side of the servo and since the back side pushing away from the band has a greater area the servo is released , however if this oil becomes blocked from the servo or is vented and dosent arrive the 3-4 clucth will come on with the band applied , causing what feels like a bind up ,

Another possibily is cetrifical apply of the 3-4 clucth if the bind feels like its happening at high rpm in 2nd gear ,This is why the extra release springs were added to these units with the later model high rev engines , higher than 5000 rpm ,
performabuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-10-2006 | 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

The problem he is having is in the 1-2 shift between 1/4-3/4 throttle.
@ WOT theres no problem.
If it starts to bind you have to let off, but if you go WOT when it starts to bind, it will bind for a few seconds, then make a loud POP noise(like something broke or released) then it will act normal for awhile.
So the 2-3 shift isn't the problem. I think its weird he has had the same problem with 2 trannys.(this problem is why the first on was rebuilt)
Old 10-10-2006 | 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

Ah ok I miss under stood , Ok the most likley thing there if its occuring in both manuall and automatically in drive , its most likley and issue with the low sprag , This sprag has to free wheel on the second shift , it holds during first but it may bebinding or doing a rollover with the rollers this will cause it to bind making a braking like feeling on the 1-2 shift the pop would be when they roll back over , Alot of people do not replace the low roller cluth during a rebuild rather they just check it , or it could hav the casting cracked and it wasnt noticed which would explain why it di it before and does again now , It would be and internal problem though unfortunatly
www.performabuilt.com

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-10-2006 | 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

The trans. that was put back in the car was not the same one that came out.
Is this a common problem? to have to seprate trannies do the same thing?
Would it be intermittent problem?
Old 10-10-2006 | 08:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

well i wont say its a comon problem , but it is a possibilty , the intermitant thing is a little puzzling , But its the best scenario i can think of based on the info youve given , I cant think of any electrical reason it would occur ,
performabuilt

Call 888-744-6542