Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink converter question

Alright guys I'm going to be putting in a converter soon because i can't stand double footing with the cam and stock TC. I have never done a upgraded TC so i have a few questions. What do you guys mean when you say your TC is loose and tight? Also to get in the power band of the Torquer 2 i think im going to go with either a 3600 or 3800 stall. Last question is what does it mean for a TC to be a lockup converter..is it better or not as good. My camaro is my DD but hopefully not for long. Sorry for the nwbie questions its my first time doing any sort of tranny work and i dont wanna jump right into my decisions without a good deal of knowledge.

-cameron
Old 10-11-2006, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want a lockup converter....all that means is it has a clutch to lock the torque converter up while cruising on the highway (feels kinda like a 5th gear when it locks), lowering tranny temps and improving fuel economy.
A stall feeling "loose" or "tight" is really personal opinion. Loose is generally regarded as feeling like you have to give the car a lot of pedal to get it moving, tight is the opposite. I have a 3600 and I don't think it's loose at all. I see you have nitrous on your car....I would say 3800rpm is the highest you'd want to go with stall speed on nitrous. The converter will stall a few hundred rpm higher when on the bottle, so your 3600-3800 preference should be right on the money.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

i went with the 3500 stall witch in my opinion is great for daily driving i just wouldnt go past 4000
Old 10-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by got V-8?
Alright guys I'm going to be putting in a converter soon because i can't stand double footing with the cam and stock TC. I have never done a upgraded TC so i have a few questions. What do you guys mean when you say your TC is loose and tight? Also to get in the power band of the Torquer 2 i think im going to go with either a 3600 or 3800 stall. Last question is what does it mean for a TC to be a lockup converter..is it better or not as good. My camaro is my DD but hopefully not for long. Sorry for the nwbie questions its my first time doing any sort of tranny work and i dont wanna jump right into my decisions without a good deal of knowledge.

-cameron
I've got a 4k non-lock up TC in my daily driver. A good TC behaves like a stock TC until you flash it, then you see its value. the downside is cruising the highway. My TC doesn't like the fact that there's no OD gear.