Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e sunshell replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e sunshell replacement?

my 4l60e sounds like the sunshell has stripped, from what i have been told...i have no reverse and no overdrive. also while 'limping' the car back home noticed that it holds 1st gear until about 2300rpm, then shifts.

wasn't doing anything crazy either when this happened, just put it in reverse to back out of driveway. then no reverse!

auto transmissions are the only thing i have never touched on a car/truck.

*IF the only problem were the sunshell, how difficult is it to replace? any special tools needed? what are the steps to get to it? (i will install a new 'beast')
what else should i look at while i'm in there, (besides the obvious, fluid/filter/ burnt parts/chunks of metal)?
anyone know of a link to some direction of the sunshell replacement?
(*notice thats a ' big if '!)
thanks in advance
chris p
Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude get a proffesional to do the work you dont even want to dive into a 4l60e ive heard they are the hardest trannys to rebuild or do anything to.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are not familiar at least with trannys in general I would not attempt it , So many people ask me qustions about why this or that dosent work after they have tried to do it themselves ,
Most likley you will spend more money trying to do it youself then just getting another trans or having it fixed ,Plus unless the trans is really low miles you will end up rebuilding it anyway in most cases

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(bjamick, i'm not looking for "hear-say" about how hard it is to work on one. )

example: I thought that doing a ls1 swap on my 69camaro was going to be tuff, but because of this fourm, its a piece of cake. I wasn't familiar with the LS1 or the 69 before I started, just knew thats what I wanted to do. you wouldn't beleive the number of people that told me, "it'll never work"/"it won't fit"/"the wiring will drive you crazy"/"leave it to a proffesional", etc,etc. they were wrong. Hell, I am a proffesional. And I am sure alot of you are too...but,

My situation is, I will pull the tranny from the vechicle myself. Since the trannys trashed, I want to open it up and see what happened in it.(thats just the way I am, been like that since I was a kid ) and worse case scenero I will buy a new(refurb) one from the local GMdealership for $1400./with a 3year warr. I mean, come on, whats going to happen, I pull the pump off or drop the pan and springs, gears and checkballs go flying everywhere.
this kind of work is fun to me, and i want/need the experience. trust me, I'm not the guy that owns a small set of socket wrenches that he keeps in a bedroom closet and considers himself a mechanic.

This tranny ran fine before this happned ,so maybe i will get lucky and there won't be any more damage besides the sunshell...

so maybe, someone could answer this question-->

IF ... the only problem were the sunshell, how is it replaced? any special tools needed?

thanks again for all the help and input,
chris p
Old 10-17-2006, 07:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well anything I say would not be hearsay since I have done literally 100s of these ,
but first thing i suggest is get and atsg anual or a hanes manual
either will tell you all you need to know pretty much including tools needed

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp3
(bjamick, i'm not looking for "hear-say" about how hard it is to work on one. )

example: I thought that doing a ls1 swap on my 69camaro was going to be tuff, but because of this fourm, its a piece of cake. I wasn't familiar with the LS1 or the 69 before I started, just knew thats what I wanted to do. you wouldn't beleive the number of people that told me, "it'll never work"/"it won't fit"/"the wiring will drive you crazy"/"leave it to a proffesional", etc,etc. they were wrong. Hell, I am a proffesional. And I am sure alot of you are too...but,

My situation is, I will pull the tranny from the vechicle myself. Since the trannys trashed, I want to open it up and see what happened in it.(thats just the way I am, been like that since I was a kid ) and worse case scenero I will buy a new(refurb) one from the local GMdealership for $1400./with a 3year warr. I mean, come on, whats going to happen, I pull the pump off or drop the pan and springs, gears and checkballs go flying everywhere.
this kind of work is fun to me, and i want/need the experience. trust me, I'm not the guy that owns a small set of socket wrenches that he keeps in a bedroom closet and considers himself a mechanic.

This tranny ran fine before this happned ,so maybe i will get lucky and there won't be any more damage besides the sunshell...

so maybe, someone could answer this question-->

IF ... the only problem were the sunshell, how is it replaced? any special tools needed?

thanks again for all the help and input,
chris p
the good news is, if it is your sunshell - which i'm almost positive it is, a beast sunshell is only $50, and i hear those things cannot be broken. is your 2nd gear gone? i believe the symptoms of a stripped sunshell are no 2nd, 4th OR reverse gear. that's probably why it takes until 2300 rpm's to shift out of first. it's going first to third gear, not first to second and it requires a high rpm to get it into third

you could try one of performabuilt's transmissions. they don't require a core charge. that way, you can have a built trans with a 1 year warranty that should take a good beating without breaking and you'll have this trans to screw around with and experiment with, plus you could use it as an emergency backup for some reason...or you could build the thing and sell it for a grand just a thought.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Good idea lol , thanks for the plug

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: 4l60e sunshell replacement?