Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your typical (lock-up) question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not your typical (lock-up) question

I've searched this for the past week and I still haven't found anything similar to it. So I decided I post a question before I start replacing parts.

What I have: Rebuilt 4L60E trans w/ Yank PE4200.

My problem is when I go to or from work I go down a very large hill then go back up one. When I hit my brakes for it, the converter unlocks as normal. But, when going back up the hill it does NOT lock up again. I could drive about a few miles and then it would lock up again on its own. The converter locks up just fine when it does lock. So I don't think it's a converter problem. And the tune is fine, there are no misfires and the temp was adjusted again for the cooler weather.

Now here's twist. When it doesn't lock up I found out I can pop/stab the brakes real quick and it locks up just like it's supposed too. It locks perfect! Sometimes I can do it once and sometimes it take 3-4 trys. But it always locks up after popping/stabbing the brakes real quick . It used to work fine but now it's acting funny. I don't mind driving it like that but I would rather it work right like it's suppose to.All this seemed to happen right after I swapped the rear end out.

Another detail which may not have to do with anything is the "brake" light on the dash. It does not come on at all right after I swapped the rear end. It use to work but it doesn't anymore. Not sure why??? I also took the ABS/ASR off and disconnected the harness completely in the rear of the car. Those lights are on of course. This may just be a fluke and everything is failing at once but I'm just not so sure of it. That's why I'm including this in case it's part of the lock up problem.

This is the first lockup problem I've ever had. Like I said the tune is fine and there are no misfires at all. Has anyone had a similar problem or know why it's not acting right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Best guess I would replace the brake light switch down at the brake petal.
hope this helps

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Teching In

I'll give that a shot and see if it helps. I'll repost if that fixes it. I know that I was testing the brakes after I installed the rear end. I didn't get the brakes bled very well at first and the pedal would hit the floor on a hard stop. I wonder if that would have broke it. I'll replace it and see. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Mine won't lock-up going uphill either, and I wouldn't really want it to. I think its in the tune (based on load).
Old 10-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

It's the brake pedal switch, it releases the tcc, signals the vcm for abs (thats why your dash light comes on) and a different set of contacts turn the brake lights on.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Update:

I crawled under the dash and found the clip that holds the brake light switch in the bracket was a little worn out. The switch would sit sideways in the bracket when I was not hitting the brakes. It didn't take much to activate the switch. This caused the converter to not lock up because it probably thought I was hitting the brakes when I really wasn't. When I would pop the brakes it would make the switch sit straight and lock up perfect.

So I adjusted the the clip so it would sit in the bracket the correct way. And guess what! Works like a charm!

Thanks everyone for your input!!! Just think, I was about to start swapping solenoids. Glad I asked first!