Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I use this th400 case?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I use this th400 case?

Came out of a motorhome and is going back in it. I have plenty of hardparts to replace the rear planet failure that caused this. Not a whole lot of cases left. Should I use this case? The bushing is still tight, it never spun and it will be replaced.
Also what can I do to prevent this again? It's an '87 trans with a huge cooler that has 3/4" tubes. Can't you grind two small grooves in the back of the sun gear inline with the lube slots to provide more lube to the rear planets?

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Teching In

I bet it cleans up looking better then that. I've reused worse cases before....
Old 12-12-2006, 07:25 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the bushing did not spin, you will be ok. You can get a no walk bushing from sonnax ,I think, to put in the back of that case. This bushing will provide more surface area for support. I usually make sure to lock tight it in there. If you need one let me know. How were the other bushings? If they were worn out this could be why you had a loss of lube. It might be a good idea to make sure that the cooler is not plugged as well. Did you ever get that 350 with the pump issue fixed?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.
Vince, I did get the th350 put back together, this time I told the guy to call me when it's all in and ready and I'll bolt the converter up. It's been working since so I guess he didn't have it in there the first time.

On this th400 I'm doing the whole thing, installation and all, I do plan to flush the cooler out or maybe change it. This motorhome was bought new by my boss, and now has around 40,000 miles on it so I don't know why it failed. Other than whats pictured the forward clutches are fried. The other bushings don't look worn but do have metal from the failure in them.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Almost sounds like it was run low on oil. You will loose lube oil pressure before you loose line pressure. Just a thought because the forward was cooked. I would get some shims to adjust the rear end play along with the front half. I'm kinda nuts whaen it comes to end play.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

Yea I'm thinking low fluid too because when I took it out the converter, cooler lines, etc didn't spill any fluid out like usual. And there were no signs of it leaking anywhere.
But then he did say he checked it before he left and it was full. He also said it was a nice purple color lol I don't know wtf that was about. It's not special fluid, it's still kinda burnt red all over my garage floor.
Do those three tang shims usually cost like $23 a piece?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:53 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

They are not cheap that's for sure. There are a couple of other ways to do it. Give me a call if you would like part #'s for a couple different methods. Vince