Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flexplate problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flexplate problems

I have a tci ls1/4.8/5.3/6.0 sfi flexplate part #000450 i believe. anyways the 6.0 i had in my truck which was an 01 model. the motor spun the number 2 cam bearing so i took it to the machine shop well. the machinst tore the motor and noticed that i apparently hade a trans/TC/flexplate problem the crankshaft had excessive play in it, it was being pushed to far forward towards the front of the motor causing the crank to be non usable and lots of wear on the block and number 3 main bearing.

My question is has anyone had any problems using this flexplate on truck setups? rather than on ls1 cars?

i have a yank 3200 and i've used it with my 5.3 and my stock flexplate and didn't have a problem i switched to the tci flexplate after my i had a TC bolt strip out.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the back of the converter and see if ther is marks from the crank bolts in it.
If so the bolts hitting the converter will not allow the Flexplate the Flex
and as the line pressure go up and down the converter will push and pull the crank in the block as you have lost the flexplates fuction
that is the most common caust of this failure

too high line pressure is one of the items at fault or wrong bolt clearance between the converter and crank
Old 12-24-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ther is no wear at all on the back of the converter. would a shift kit of aftermarket converter have something to do with it.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdogg5.3
ther is no wear at all on the back of the converter. would a shift kit of aftermarket converter have something to do with it.

The engine or trans has no way of knowing what converter is there, it is a pushing motion of the converter toward the engine from high pressure or binding of the pilot in the crank or the contact of crank bolts