Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is 4l60e going bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 4l60e going bad

okay dumb question but how do you tell if your a4 is going bad. i've read alot of threads on people saying they've had to have theirs rebuilt. besides it just completely not shifting how are you supposed to know if its bad. i think mine might be going bad and i don't know enough about them to look at it myself and tell, and before i go spending a ton of cash getting it rebuilt or getting another one i was wandering if there are sure signs. when i'm at the track and go WOT sometimes it barely speeds up and acts like its in to high a gear and then other times it feels like being launched in a rocket. i know the engine is fine, could my shift points be bad, my trap speed is 116mph but my 1/4 times are very inconsistent because sometimes the transmissions cathches and takes off and other times it doesn't
Old 01-01-2007, 10:00 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When this happens at the track are you launching at the same rpm's? I have talked to quite a few people that do not stall their TC up and run much better times. I have been told that when they stall it up it does not run consistant like yours is doing. I have been told that the TC needs to do it's job on the launch and this is the best way to achieve this. Try launching at 1000 rpms and see what happens. You might be suprised that's all I can tell you. I'm not saying this your answer but you need to do things consistant in racing. This is the best way to learn what your car is doing or not doing. Then make small changes to get your car dialed in. If you feel that you might be having a trans problem drop the pan and do an inspection. If it looks good and clean go from there. Vince
Old 01-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Teching In

the problem isn't happening on the take off it usually happens after i get enough traction to go WOT and when it shifts into the next gear. sometimes when i slam on the gas the rpms shoot up other times it is like driving a standard in to high a gear there is no exceleration. it seems like it is skipping gears and going into to high a gear. can this happen, could it be going into to the overdrive gear. the problem usually occurs at 50+ mph. thanks for your help
Old 01-01-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My stock tranny and converter started showing signs on the highway initially. I'd be going 60mph.. stand on the throttle and the car would just rev and not pull I'd ease off the throttle and the RPM;s would drop and the car would start to pull. not to long after that it would bounce of the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift and run hotter and hotter seeing 220's on 90 deg days.

If its starting to do funny things I'd just pull it now and have it gone through or better yet get a new tranny.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Teching In

it was just recently rebuilt with a level 3 rebuild. it set up to handle a lot of hp. this is why i can't understand why it is doing this. the promblem is right after i had it rebuilt i moved so i am about 1000 miles away from the shop that rebuilt it. so having them look at its not really an option. has anybody heard of shift points causing something like this.