Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E lockup question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4L60E lockup question??? Please help!!!

Sorry guys this is not an ls1 questions but i know you guys know 4l60e's and this site has some of the most knowledgeable guys ive seen and im gettin no help from other sites for trucks.

ok I have a 98 s10 blazer zr2 w/4L60E trans 111k miles. i had a converter lockup/unlock problem that it would go in and out erratically. i had a transgo shift kit put in with a new transgo separator plate and the problem is gone. when my mech pulled the valve body one of the check ***** wore the seperator plate hard and the ball was actually stuck in the plate.

everything else about the trans is good now except one thing. it seems the converter locks up when cruising around 35-40mph which makes it feel like its bogging because it brings it down to about 1100 rpms untill i give it more than 50%+ throttle. same as if i through my trans am in 6th at 35mph and tried to use some throttle. it does it in D and in 3rd, just 3rd is a little higher rpms. it also unlocks when i let off the gas and when i reapply throttle you feel the rpms pick up and then quickly lock again and drop back down to bogging not sure if thats bad or not..., this will happen every time i give it a little gas to maintain speed.

im guessing this is a tuning issue sense its a computer controlled trans. it defiantly feels like it should hold off from locking until around 50mph so it would maintain a better cruising rpm. anyway is there anything i can do? possibly have it tuned? did i miss something with my transgo fix kit? i know my mech said its supose to be i think a pulse somthin controlled lockup so it can apply a certain % of lockup to load and speed. seems like its just stright locking up

any idea if this is just the way these trannys are?

any help would be awsome

Thanks
Ryan

edit:
well the transgo kit i got was this one, as far as being installed correctly im not concerned with that really. this issue was there before the kit was installed.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000035935.htm

i was also having the P1870 code before, i havent driven it that much or scanned it to see if it came back after the kit. how do i go about checking the tps or gettin it checked out. also where would i be able to get it tuned to my liking? dealer or what?

edit:
from driving some more i notice when the car is first started and its cold the converter seems to modulate lockup nicely. it wont completely lock down and bog, when im up and down on throttle the rpms can move accordingly and as i ease you can feel it locking more until im off the gas where it sits low and then will rise smoothly and not feel like bogging, where as when its hott and locking it will lock and stayed bogged and feel like i shifted into 6th gear at 35mph until i give it about 50%+ gas and it jumps outta lockup and then back in as soon as i ease off the gas some . it doesnt do this at speeds above around 50+. i really need help here guys i like the truck but i need to find out whats going on with it, its stressing me out. is there somethin could be goin that controls this??

Last edited by rgaynor85; 01-24-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a word... yes. It is not an abnormal condition. It is designed to go into lock-up in 3rd gear, it is dependant upon TPS and vehicle speed. It can be tuned out.

Not sure about the questions regarding the Trans-Go kit though because you did not identify it.

Your tech would have been referring to Pulse Width Modulation, PWM. It is a function whereby the PCM engages and releases the Converter clutch very rapidly.

I don't think there is a problem, but if the engine is laboring in 3rd you may want to have it addressed. Start by having the TPS operation checked out, then verify the Trans Go kit was installed properly and then have it tuned to your preference.

g
Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When the PWMis modified or deleted the lockup solenoid may enable lockup earlier than desired move the lockup speed or rpm up in tuning to correct but its not hurting anything

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when it is cold the converter will not lock-up. Not sure what you are feeling there. I would recommend driving it with a scanner in order to verify the lock-up command so that you are 100% sure that is what you are feeling.

A dealer would not necessarily tune that condition out for you. But a performance shop who has a chassis dyno can handle it.

g
Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

is there anything that controls this though that i can look at or is it purely a tuning thing
Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of trannys do this sort of stuff. Mine dosent wanna lock up for about 10 min. if it's been sittin for more than 2 days.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Teching In

the tcc won't lock until ect temp is met as designated in the pcm. this figure is tuneable as well as the desired lockup speed. lockup is disabled at low ect temps to help the engine warm up sooner. it is normal for tcc to unlock at 0% throttle pressure and relock once you apply some slight pressure. your probably feeling the increased holding capacity of the converter clutch once engaged if the duty cycle has been turned up. the soft engagement that is factory programmed does what it was intended.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

i drove a friends truck tonite a 2004 colorado, after carfully feeling mine out. what i noticed with mine is over 50mph when i let off the gas it does not unlock and relock when i press it again and it also doesnt feel abnormal over 50mph. when i drove his truck it did not lock untill i was 50mph or over and felt just like mine above 50mph. if i touch the brake just slightly to disengage the converter it feels just like his under 50 and also feels like it running properly but as soon as i let off the brake to let lock again it drops down to bogging again.

I definatly feel it should be locking at 50 and not under like it is. at least thats how id like it to feel. now i just need to know what can cause this to lock up so early compared to my buddys truck, on a untuned stock truck. i have a k&n intake but i dought that would hav anything to do with it. im gonna have my tps checked asap, but other than that what can make it go in so early. if i have to ill have it tuned to what i like but i just want to know what the reasoning is behind the way it is now
Old 01-27-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

ttt...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well as I mentioned in and earlier post if the PWM has been disabled then lockup will ocur much earlier since where normally the tcc valve just enabled lockup and the PWM solenoid controls when and how it locks up after that MOD the TCC valve is totally in control, You will need to change the tunning to move the TCC enable speed higher,

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: 4L60E lockup question???