Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak from inside bell area

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leak from inside bell area

My built 4l60E killed the lower reverse sprag and was sent back. I just got finished reinstalling the tranny and converter. I had sent the vig converter to be checked and cleaned. The only thing different this time was while I had the trans out I changed the flex plate to a TCI plate. I filled the tranny and started the car once everything was back together. Once the car was running I put the trans in neutral and topped off the fluid it only took 1 pint. I let the car idle for a few minutes and then put it in gear. It shifted and at some point trans fluid began to dump from the bell area. I shut the car off. I did restart it to see if it would do it in park and it was. The only difference is the TCI flexplate. I wonder if maybe it pulled the converter too far away. I did look through the small inspection hole and it appears to be leaking from the input shaft area. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well you defiantly have a front seal leak and since it didnt happen till you put it in gear the flex plate may have made the difference there is a slight push forward when the trans is in gear but in any case your going to have to pull it back out to see and I would suggest you talk to one of the converter guys vig would be your best bet since thats where converter came from and get some measurements to determine if everything is where is should be, I mean it could just be a coincidental bad front seal or pump bushing may have walked for some reason but I would check everything before it went back in

Call 888-744-6542