Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 shifting problems, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH350 shifting problems, HELP!!

Man, I am pissed.. Here's the details on the trans before I start explaining..

BTE TH350
Specs:
TH350 Full Manual Transmission
This transmission features:

-Full Manual Valve Body
-5 high performance clutches in reverse, 6 in low, 5 in high
-2.52 low gear
-One piece case saver
-Rebuilt pump
-New bearings and bushings
-Dyno tested to ensure proper operation

Converter is a TCI-4200 Competetion trans with anti-balloon plate.

Just got my coupe up and going and noticed on my first test drive it felt like it was starting in 2nd gear and I could only feel one shift when I would put it in drive. I have jacked the car up and had a buddy run it at about 2500rpm and manually shifted the trans under the car to eliminate shifter problems. I started in 1st gear position and then shifted into 2nd and did not notice anything and then shifted into 3rd (drive) and it shifted just fine into 3rd (trans jolted and rpm's dropped). After that test I tried the downshift operation. Started in 3rd gear and clicked it down to 2nd, worked fine (trans jolted and rpm's jumped up) and then downshifted into 1st, no difference. I did not notice ANY trans jolting or rpm change when downshifting into 1st. I am at the conclusion that something has to be wrong with 1st gear operation due to the fact it downshifts into 2nd. What could be the problem????
Old 02-08-2007, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well first gear is simply a function of the forward clutch and low roller clutch though the low reverse clutchs will also come on in the manual low position , But since you have a full manual valve body your issue is going to be with the valve body , I would contact the maker and ask them what to do but at the very least you will need to remove the valve body

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
well first gear is simply a function of the forward clutch and low roller clutch though the low reverse clutchs will also come on in the manual low position , But since you have a full manual valve body your issue is going to be with the valve body , I would contact the maker and ask them what to do but at the very least you will need to remove the valve body
Thanks man! The only reason I went with BTE is a buddy here at work has used them for years (pg trans) and has had good luck. I called bte yesterday and they seemed to think it was a shifter problem and advised I manually shift it under the car. Thats what I did last night but before I went any further I wanted to make sure I cross my t's and dot my i's. Thanks again man.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well if you cant do it under neath then its going to be a valve body issue probably assembled wrong in some way , Good Luck

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
well if you cant do it under neath then its going to be a valve body issue probably assembled wrong in some way , Good Luck
Quick question for you, I was told if reverse works, then 1st should work. Is that true? All other aspects of the trans works great... ??
Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well what they are saying is that first and reverse both use the same clutch set manually , but they are not applied the same way so that would not be true. You are looking at a valve body issue or possibly a leaking or broken accumulator piston in the side of case will also cause a second gear start no matter what though that should also cause a bind up in reverse if the overun band is active or installed , But Im still going with a valve body issue
thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: TH350 shifting problems, HELP!!