Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Shift Kit Cause Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Shift Kit Cause Damage?

ok, ive been asking around everyone i know ive been a mechanic for about 13 years . i do transmissions know how to pull and put em in but i dont open them up. my transmission guy said it causes harder shifts weich damages the tranny. but other friend says its better because it allows it to not slip that much going into the next gear.
is there any one that has a good answer that is backed by like proof or something?? thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shift kit design. B&M's goal=to get hard shifts. Raise line pressure, disable accumulators, enlarge feed holes, it impresses a lot of people.
TransGo's goal=improve lube circuits, improve accumulator operation, improve shift valve design, to name a few.
These give firm shifts if set up properly.
A lot has to do with the installer also, a person can screw up installing the best kit out there and in his mind it's the kits fault.
I don't know how anyone can provide any kind of proof unless you want to see two build ups of two exact same vehicles with each kit.
But thats just my opinion and a rather short answer.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

A properly installed shift kit , In a tansmission is good shape and not over done(to agressive)can substaintially increase the life of a trans, Unfortunatly they tend to get a bad rap because many times they are either installed to make the hardest shift possible or more comonley in and attempt to fix a failing or allready very high milage transmission which then of course the trans death is ussually hastened a bit ,
But without one with high power applications you have to bear in mind a smooth shift is clutchs slipping and making heat and the more power you make to more slip they will have during each shift . I know thats not a simple answer , But hope it helps .

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Does Shift Kit Cause Damage?