Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear start (abuse mode maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd gear start (abuse mode maybe)

Hey well tonight for the first time my car started out in 2nd gear for some reason. I have a full tune and have ran several times at the track without any sort of problem. Tonight im working on the car fitting the new et drags and was trying to get my linelock to hold but it would just push the car out. I then went up a decent size hill where I figured maybe ill try the linelock again so I limped it up the hill and the tranny hit about 180 on my gauge which I think is working right and of course I then tryed another linelock the linelock still didnt work which I then figured it needed water to get the linelock to hold. I go to start moving and the tranny started in 2nd gear I then put manually put it in first and it went in first. I then shut the car off for about 2 mins put it in d and it worked normal. Im thinking I might have set off the abuse mode maybe by stalling it sort of high because when I was testing the linelock it just kind of stalled real high and would push the car. I dont think there is any misfires with the car and even it was misfiring I dont think there is any misfire codes that would start it in 2nd correct me if im wrong. I think it was just a weird thing that happened maybe from stalling it thinking I was stalling it real high. Btw search wasnt working for me when I posted this. Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

The only thing that would cause that is heat. Brake stalling and driving up hills will both create a lot of heat with a 4000 stall converter. I bet it got too hot and tried to save itself.

I also bet your gauge isn't where it should be either, because 180 isn't hot enough to do that. Where is the gauge installed?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

My gauge is installed in the pressure port I just put it there because I want some kind of reading atleast to get a ballpark. I had the guage to about 210 already and I didnt have any type of problem. I think for some reason it could of pulled a freak code. This is the first time this has ever happened. Btw I have twin coolers mounted dope style not bypassing the radiator though. One cooler is B&M 2400GVW and the other is a perma cool with a fan on it.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Id say its from stalling so high, it shouldnt have gotten that hot with two coolers.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

cool i found my answer, this just happened to me today ( the second time in about a year), i was at the track did my burnout and staged, i stalled it to about 3000 rpms then we had to back up and restage again because the other guy tripped the red before we even started, of course it statred out in second and would not shift, i turned off the car and then turned it back on and it worked and shifted fine.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by franny40
cool i found my answer, this just happened to me today ( the second time in about a year), i was at the track did my burnout and staged, i stalled it to about 3000 rpms then we had to back up and restage again because the other guy tripped the red before we even started, of course it statred out in second and would not shift, i turned off the car and then turned it back on and it worked and shifted fine.
Well I hope it doesnt happen to me at the track I have done about 25 passes so far and havent had that problem. I will probobly be heated though if it does happen at the track. I was watching the one video that I have and I was preloading about 10 seconds before we ran just waiting for the guy to stage and everything.