Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Stall??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Stall??

I have an ls1 99 trans am and i have to replace my converter but i'm thinking about a stall. Free mods, flomaster, tune, few bolt ons. What size stall should i go with i can tune it myself. Need some advice, Thanks! Oh btw, i don't have a cam, but i may in the future.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3600-4000 would be a good range to look at. I have bolt-ons with a 3500 stall and I love it. If you plan on a big cam then go with something like a Yank SS4000. If you plan on a smaller cam or think you may spray N20 someday then a Yank SS3600 would be a good choice.

Or you can go right in the middle and find a nice 3800 stall. Anything in this range is going to feel really good. Just remember that smaller then a 3500 will sacrifice performance and higher then 4000 will sacrifice street manners.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will i have to go with some kind of transmission cooler, i heard that a stall that big will hurt my transmission
Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daniel99ta
will i have to go with some kind of transmission cooler, i heard that a stall that big will hurt my transmission
Definately. But for less then a hundred bucks this is very cheap insurance. I'm using this one on my car:

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...ge/bm70264.jpg

It's the B&M 24K GVW supercooler. I got it from New Era Performance who also installed it for me. I gotta say that in two years I have had no issues with my stall or my transmission. I've driven 40 minutes to my local track and hot lapped up to 5 passes and have never had any issues.

A lot of people will also do a shift kit at the time of a torque converter install. This helps firm up the shifts and if installed on a healthy transmission can help its longevity.

But the shift kit is optional. The transmission cooler is a must have or the 4L60E will overheat and likely fail within a few months.

Good luck.