Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans cooler question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans cooler question.

I just put in my new tranny w/ a 3500 stall, so of course I need to put in a trans cooler. Till now I have never removed the lid or anything above the radiator. I have a 98 formula, after removing these things I was surprised to see that the car has two radiators. I did not know this. Now my issue is, how do I install the trans cooler? There is only about an inch between the two radiators. How do I get it secured or how do I position it? Has anyone done this? Any advice?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually, what you have is a water radiator (the larger one with the removeable cap) and an air conditioning condensor (which looks and acts somewhat like a radiator, dissipating heat).
for installation, look at: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/94Z/trannycooler.htm
Old 04-16-2007, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

I have been looking at that link for a while and trying to figure out how he mounted the cooler to the radiator with the fans. Did he put the zip ties through both radiators? It's a good write up, I think I maybe looking at the pictures to hard.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Your best bet is the old fashioned one: crawl under there and scope it out. It is one of the easiest mods for an fbody, and one of the most beneficial.
As far as mounting, it will depend on the mounting kit you get. It will explain the "how". No matter what, get the cooler in asap. Heat is the death of automatic transmissions, and the stall increases heat considerably.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can put the zip ties thru the condensor and radiator. I just put my cooler on a couple weeks ago and thats what I did. I only needed two of the zip ties since the cooler isnt that heavy.

As Koolaid_kid said it is a very easy install to do.