Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Output shaft bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Output shaft bearing replacement?

Sup peeps. For those of you that have rebuilt your tranny yourself or do it for a living. I have found out why I keep breaking tailshaft housings. Well, pulled my driveshaft to see about getting it re-balanced. I can grab my output shaft and move it up/down/side-side a good 1/8-1/16 inch. Not good. Excessive vibration I assume killed it. Now, can I just pull my tranny and the tailshaft housing and pull out that bearing and replace or do I need to tear it down completely? If I have to tear it down completely, then, well I am going to really learn about these. I am tired of spending 1-2k every year on a new one.

Ski
Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

There is no output shaft bearing. The play that you have is normal. The bushing that the yoke rides on in the extension housing is what keeps the output shaft from moving.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Then, why in the f**k do I keep cracking tailshaft houseing?? AAAAHHHH What the hell. Driveshaft is good. I have had a chassis mount TQ arm for awhile and still breaking them. Sorry for the rant..just pissed and tired of this problem. Tranny shop said driveshaft, k had it balanced..it was good. Put the bill in there face and said what now? "Uh..dont know."

*Pissed*--> Ski
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

curious so im subscribing.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
There is no output shaft bearing. The play that you have is normal. The bushing that the yoke rides on in the extension housing is what keeps the output shaft from moving.
That is correct , There is however a rear case bushing and though it should be replaced in every build. I have noted twice now that it was missing from OEM units. And do mean just that not slide out or bad , Not there! When I spoke to the customer in each case the customer had purchased the car new. There vibration didnt show up untill around 25000 miles. And was only under throttle and at high speeds. While neither broke a tail housing they did vibrate, one was a 98 ls1 car the other was a 2002 car. Just somthing of interest.

Another thing I have noted on some cars is the vibration damper on some drive shafts, looks like a metal ring with rubber in it on the yoke , So its aparent GM took the possibility of vibration from the drive shaft as and issue at least on some cars, I know someone had a post up with a pic of one of those the other day.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Performa: yes, my driveshaft does have the "dampner" on it.

Ski