Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about torque converters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about torque converters

If there is something wrong with your torque converter can it make the vehicle ping at higher speeds sometimes off and on? And also can it make the vehicle just start shaking when you are cruising on the highway around 60 or so? I don't mean like a tire out of balance vibration but the vehicle will just start shaking all of the sudden after you have been crusing along at the same speed with no problems and all of the sudden it just starts shuttering like it is going to go dead. My dealer has checked everything out and says I have no air fuel problems but he thinks something is wrong with my torque converter. It didn't do this shaking thing for him because he didn't drive it on the interstate. Is something locking up causing this?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well the shaking (shutter feeling) could be the converter clutch wearing out if it high milelage.Or also could be a sign of some internal transmission presure issue , WORN STATOR or TC input shaft oring could be bad High milelage likley both.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-22-2007, 01:25 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try to lightly press the brake pedal while holding the throttle steady as it is vibrating. If the vibration goes away and then comes back when you let off the brake pedal, then it is pretty safe to say that you have a tcc problem.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I am going to try that. If that is it I will take it to a local transmission shop. Anything else I can do to check it? What it has been doing for awhile is after 40 mph it won't go any faster unless you give it alot of gas light full throttle almost. Then it will go. Mechanic said he thinks it is the torque converter. How much is a reasonable price on a rebuild on my trans and a new torque converter?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:38 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind/year of truck do you have again? Any mods?