Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For others with the 700R4...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For others with the 700R4...

I'm not sure mine is behaving properly in a car I got recently, so i would like to ask how yours acts. This tranny was rebuilt about 18k ago and I think maybe they didn't get the cables and everything set up exactly right. Anyway, at what rpm does yours shift into the next gear under normal traffic driving (obviously not for you stalled guys)? Does yours shift at exactly the same rpm at WOT each time? Also, will it downshift more than 1 gear when you go WOT wihle already moving?

The one in this car will go up to about 2500rpm before shifting in traffic, which seems high to me since I'm used to my 4l60e in my TA shifting at maybe 17-1800 under the same acceleration. Also if doesn't shift at the same place each time at WOT. I don't konw if maybe my tach could just be screwed up or what, but it varies by a pretty big amount. Yesterday i took it for a drive for the first time in a while and the one time I went WOT through a shift it shifted at just about 5k on the 1-2 shift (Ive seen it up to like 57-5800 before though once or twice). Also when i'm cruising at 65 and I step on it all it will do is shift into 3rd, it won't go into 2nd, and it appears that it will only downshift one gear at any point (which really takes away from acceleration. My dad's cts pulled me on the highway the day I got it because of that). And finally, only sometimes will it downshift to first after it has shifted to 2nd. I can be going 15 after it has shifted to 2nd, and most of the time it will stay in second and not go back to first.

If that sounds normal then i guess i don't know what I'll do, but if it isn't, is that something that a transmission place could fix for me? How much would you guess it would cost me if it is fixable (maybe I could do it?)?

Thanks

Edit: the car is a '93 z28 just FYI.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Banned

You need to fine tune the governor weights, springs, make sure the tv cable geometry is right on, and maybe change some shift valve springs inside the valve body.
A regular transmission shop will most likely not do it to perfection. Everyone has their own personal taste about how and when thier car should shift. The only way to get it perfect is to learn how to do it and do it yourself.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While perfection may be the goal... a "regular" transmission shop has no doubt adjusted TV cables and governor weights countless times on countless units and would come alot closer to getting it right the 1st time than someone who knows nothing about it. 700R4's are very succeptible to burning clutches due to inacurate TV cable settings, there have been more than a few cooked in a short period of time due to improper TV and governor settings.

The cost will depend on who you take it to and what needs to be done in order to correct the condition.. it might be as simple as a cable adjustment.

The cable adjsutment is not that hard to do... take it to a pro, ask that person to check the adjustment for you and to show you how to do it correctly so in the future you can do it yourself.

Governor tuning is a whole other issue and requires a selection of springs and weights. Again, good reason for a pro to handle it.

g
Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

I did my first 700 with a grinder, a bucket of governors to rob weights off of, I cut and welded the throttle lever to get the right geometry, used a pressure gauge.......and 100 or so test drives later it was perfect.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I HAVE DONE THIS LOL WHAT A PAIN LOL.
Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I did my first 700 with a grinder, a bucket of governors to rob weights off of, I cut and welded the throttle lever to get the right geometry, used a pressure gauge.......and 100 or so test drives later it was perfect.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so the shift points under normal throttle, the uneven shifts at WOT, and the not downshifting more than one gear are all things that a transmission place could fix for me? I'll have to see if I can get it in there and see what they can tell me about it... Thanks guys.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddies has these issues as well. we have no idea what springs and weights to put in. at full throttle from 1st to 2nd it will shift after 6500 but from 2nd to 3rd it shifts around 5000 rpms. we are kind of clueless.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would check the cable adjustment before I took it anywhere.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been in the performance end of the business for over 40 years, and about 30 years in the performance automatic transmission business, and I have found there are only a handfull of people that I would trust to even set a TV cable, much less do anything else. Take it to a "pro", tell me how you qualify that, does he do this day in and day out? does he build preformance and HD 700R4's successfully (a good track record). A "pro" in this case is someone who knows this transmission backward & forward, and as I said there are only a handfull. In the case of the 700R4, misinformation runs amuck.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Didn't a lot of the GM cars/trucks have the 700r4 in there before the 4l60e was used? All I really care about is that it's adjusted 1. mainly so that it won't hurt the transmission, 2. so that it's more comfortable (lower rpm shifts), and 3. possibly get the WOT shifts adjusted if possible.

I got this car for $2000 and other than this little annoyance it is in great shape and runs very strong. I doubt I could find another deal like it(got it from a guy that used to be in my car club), and that is why I would like to make this one work, since I was looking for an LT1 for a DD anyway.

Since all it would ever be is a daily driver that is why my no. 1 & 2 reasons for this would be to make sure it's safe, and make the partial throttle shifts more where they are supposed to be. That's also why the WOT shifts at high rpm are less important to me.