Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple questions about a 700R4.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A couple questions about a 700R4.

My '93 Z28 was shifting at like 2500rpm under normal accelerating and was very firm, and also VERY harsh going into D or R. I just adjusted the TV cable so it actually drives like a normal car now. lol. It will shift at somewhere between 1700-2000 now depending on acceleration. I have a couple questions about it now though.

First, it shifts much more smoothly now (especially going into D or R O_O), and since I was used to the way it did before, it feels very soft now. I don't want to mess it up so i thought I would ask if there might be a problem. I don't really think there is, because our '00 silverado (it has a 4l60e right?) shifts softer and takes longer to shift than the camaro does now, but i just thought I would make sure.

Second is, now it shifts at about 4500rpm at WOT, so I have a question. Is it bad for the tranny to be shifted manually? I know it won't be as consistent as letting it do it itself, but in my case it almost isn't an option (since it shifts at 4500 now). If it isn't horrible for the car itself to shift manually then I just won't worry about it and shift myself whenever I want to go fast. If there is a major problem with it then I might try to have it fixed. How much would it cost to have all the springs/weights adjusted?

Anybody with a lot of experience with these trannys helping me out here would be great . Mostly with the second one too. The first one is mostly just me wanting to make sure I didn't mess anything up when I did what I did.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When ajusting the TV cable be very carefull as it controls more than just when the car shifts but also shift firmness/line presure. The 700r4 was bad to clunk kinda hard in some cars into od and reverse particularly if the idle was a little to high, Ideally the TV cable should be at max travel at full throttle. As for the harsh shifts I dont know if the trans is original or has been built but bear in mind if it was built the hard shift may have been built in intentionally, Loosening the TV cable is not the best way to soften shifts. Do you know the history of the car or the trans?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-27-2007, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

I don't think the transmission was built, but it was rebuilt about 18k miles ago supposedly. The main problem with the shifts before I think was just that it would go too high before shifting. You could barely accelerate (traffic acceleration at the most) and it would go all the way to 2500 before shifting to second. Then it would be a couple hundred rpm lower for the next couple shifts. You would have to be going about 55 or more, or completely let off the gas, for it to shift into the last gear before. Now it shifts about 1700 on the 1-2 shift and a tad lower on the others. It feels much more normal now than it did. The actual shift points are similar to my '00 WS6, but they feel softer. The only thing with that is that when I got my car tuned (Green Light Motorsports) he changed some tranny stuff and it shifts much firmer than it did before.

This is what i did. You can tell me if you think I did anything wrong. I found the TV cable up front, and pushed down the button on the end towards the transmission from the cable. Then I pushed the little black thing around the cable back towards the rear of the car. I let go of the button and held on to the pulley part of the throttle body and pushed it hard all the way forward to where WOT should be. The little black part went "snap" and came back forward again. I wasn't sure if it had done anything (I don't know why), so i did it again, and then I went for a drive. It was immediately much less harsh going into reverse to back it out (still more of a jerk than my TA though), and then the shift points were all like I told you about before after that.

One thing I would really like to know too is the part about harming the transmission by manually shifting it. Is that really bad for it?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

So people think it is but fro a builders perspective I would say no withthe noted exception of high speed downshifts at 0 throttle as this may cause excessive wear on the overun frictions.
As for the TV cable sounds like you did it correctly so you should be fine,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-27-2007, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks . That makes me feel better about everything. I don't plan on any high speed downshifts anyway, so I'm ok there. I'll just have to deal with manually shifting it until maybe someday I fix it permanently. I'm hoping for some better gas mileage out of it now too since I'm going to be basically constantly driving around in a gear lower than I used to. It funny how the car seems quieter now too.. haha

Thanks again