Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans builders help, 4L60E build one last time

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans builders help, 4L60E build one last time

The 3-4 clutch went out on my trans a month after I put it together.

Now I don't have the trans apart yet, but I'm assuming the clutch is out of it. Not sure if its burnt out or something broke in the circuit (piston, springs, snap ring). It went out fast, it starting slipping slightly, 10 mins later no 3 or 4 gears. It was a 8 clutch alto red with kolene steels.

I installed a servo release check valve, could this screw things up if the feed holes are the wrong sizes?

I did have a problem trying to install the transgo hi-rev springs, I couldn't get the 3-4 spring retainer to stay together. So I put the stock springs back in.

this will the the 4th time I have this trans out of the truck, this will be the last time, next time its 4L80E time.

2002 4x4 4L60E upgraded to
5 pinion planets
hardened input shaft, sleeve input drum
carbon fibre stock width band
hardened beast sungear shell
BW 27 element sprag
corvette servo
hardened output shaft
Servo release check valve
trango HD set to mild
alumium acculator pistons
Alto clutches

Thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I put the 3-4 clutch springs in the retainer I never try to lock the little clips together. I'm not sure off the top of my head what trans-go tells you to do here. IMO there is no way to put those springs in there and assemble that cage like the factory does it. With the servo release check valve how large did you drill the hole in the valve itself and in the separator plate? Also what second gear servo are you using? I'm not saying this is your issue but I do not believe that this is your problem. Did you have this failure with the 3-4 clutch before even installing this valve? It really sounds like you have a leak in the 3-4 clutch circuit. Have you had a gauge on this trans? This can be very difficult to find. There are many things that can be causing this as I'm sure you are aware of. If you would like to discuss this further, give me a call at the shop tomorrow. If you do not get me leave a message and I will get back to you. Vince
Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the trans has a vette 2nd servo 4th is stock. Should I go to a billet servo? It already shifted hard enough, I didn't want it any harder, so I just stuck with the vette servo.

The feed holes are drilled to .093" I think. The instructions that came with the servo check valve said to drill them to .120 or something like that. I stuck with the Transgo instructions for fear of hard shifting, and breaking band. (I've already ripped the band anchor off the pin once, with this trans)
I don't remember drilling any holes in the valve.
Does this valve help, or should I just leave it out.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 08:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a corvette servo the valve must be drilled to .120-.125 if I remember correctly. The separator plate can be drilled to various sizes due to the application. The .093 hole should be ok. You could drill it up about .125 if memory serves me correctly. I believe .110 is a good size hole and I would not go much larger than that. I would verify the hole in the valve and leaving it in the case is a good upgrade. The billet servo is not going to add any life to the 3-4 clutch pack IMO. Vince
Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Im with Vince on his first reply sounds like you have a leaks in the 3-4 clutch apply circuit. Also What clearance did you use in the 3-4 clutch?

Call 888-744-6542