Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a 4L80E built. I think????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, these are my TCI settings. Remember, this is a 4200lb 4 door 454 Chevelle...it runs out of breath around 5200rpm...

WOT Upshift
1 to 2 5200rpm
2 to 3 5100rpm
3 to 4 5000rpm

WOT Downshift
1=35
2=55
3=110

Torque Converter Lockup
Min MPH for TCC lockup=45
TCC lockup rate=64
Lockup Delay=3.0
WOT TCC Lockup

Engine Breaking

4 to 3 = 80
3 to 2 = 55
2 to 1 = 20

rear tire dia inches 27.0
WOT min shift time 1.0
Part thrott shift time .5
min tps for wot 79% yours will vary, depends on tps setting and range
max tps for idle 19% your will vary
downshift hysteresis mph 5
gear ratio 3.56
rev lp kick 15%

I can't give you anything on the force motor tables or the part throttle shift tables since they are graphs that change depending on throttle position. I can say I have my 3rd gear line pressure starting at around 32 duty cycles at idle and dropping pretty quickly to 0 by 40% on the TPS. I have most of my settings so it is docile up to about 1/4 throttle and then firms up greatly by half throttle.
One thing to look for is to make sure that your three lines for your shift points for 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 do not cross or touch at any point or they will give you problems.
You may want to look for a stock setting for your system and go from there. You are welcome to a copy of mine but you will have to fine tune it.
I hope this helps. I never found crap online on how to tune mine, but it was pretty simple if you followed the TCI instructions and left the things they said to leave alone and only made small changes.
Good luck and anyone is welcome to chime in with specific questions on any of this. I have some good paperwork somewhere on all the suggestions I found over time on tuning these units. I set mine where it is and it really works great. I set many months ago and have not touched it since until tonight to get the parameters for this message.

econ/perf lp kick 25%
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate it.

Thanks,

SBP
Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good info Buddy! I looked high and low today and did not find a thing on the web.

g
Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Yea, I could never find crap on programming these things. I thought about writing something up myself and posting it on my page just to help people out a bit but have not done it yet. The manual on the TCI controller does a nice job of keeping you out of trouble but a terrible job of why not to change certain settings. The thing is not idiot proof but it does allow you to tweak the partial throttle shift points and the pressures very easily. Not as flexible as some of the more expensive controllers but so far has done what I ask of it and not given me any problems.
Novacain383, do you see anything that looked out of place?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not at all. My numbers are a little different. But pretty much follow the same sequence.
So I really don't know. I hate to turn this transmission in as a core if there is nothing wrong with it. Also hate to because I really don't know what is in it. It could have good stuff in it already. But I don't want to drive until something breaks and ruins the whole thing. So kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot. LOL.

SBP
Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

I think you have a shot at fixing it yourself. Are you sure it works properly when shifted manually into and out of third? If so, it does sound like a control issue. Maybe dirty or worn out solonoid b. Do you have a pressure gauge? Anyway you could check your pressures manually in 3rd and again in automatic 3rd?
I tinker with trannys and build my current 4l80e. Simple things inside really, especially compared the the 700r4's I have been through in the past. Post all you know and some of the real pro's may give you some ideas. I just try to logic through them and try stuff till something works. My thought is that if it works properly in manual 3rd than you have a control issue, either valve body cross leak, stuck valve or bad solonoid. Might be easy to diagnose if you feel like sorting through it.
You could also try dropping your duty cycle in 3rd way lower in your tps to up the holding pressure. Try this to see if it makes any difference.
Good luck...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to ask. Could this be in the Valve Body or in one of the shift solenoids? Or just in the setup of the TCU?

Thanks,

SBP
Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

I "could" be in any of the three. Sounds like the TCI unit is working OK and the settings are close.
OK, I am not a tranny pro but I have build enough to offer some thoughts...anyone please feel free to jump in...
Is it really slipping in third? How about forth?
Could the torque converter be locking and unlocking, making it seem to be slipping?
Looking through my ATSG service manual and my notes and memories of building my 4l80e here is what I see.(the real pro's out there, please chime in when, not if, I am wrong)
Third and Fourth basically use the same clutches, with the addition of the forth clutch for 4th gear. So it if is slipping in 3rd, but not 4th clutch packs may not be the first place to look.
Solonoid "a" and Solonoid "b" are used in different combinations. For example "A" is off "B" is on for 3rd gear. For 4th gear both are on. Since all other gears work correctly I think they both must be working and the wiring is not in question otherwise other gears would not be working as they should.
2-3 shift valve could be acting up, but I would think it would just try to drop back into 2nd...
Cross leaks are always possible. Short of dropping the valve body and replacing gaskets about the only other thing is to make sure all the valve body bolts are in place and properly torqued.
No idea if this is helpful but it may give you a few things to try. Shame to send one off if it is something simple, but at the least you will know a bit more about them.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright. So I have changed settings and drove the car all day. It is not 3rd gear sipping. Thank goodness. I put it 3rd and drive it and it works fine. No slipping or feeling like it is. But as soon as you put it in OD it does feel like it is slipping. But I think that it is trying to lock up and unlock. But when I give it more throttle it will lock up and run rite. So now I got to figure out how to get the lockup to work rite. Is there anything that may be internal or is it something I will have to do with the setup on the TCI? I have the Lockup setup to lockup @ WOT and lockup @ 45mph and lockup rate @ 65. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Criss

SBP
Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

You should be able to check if the controller is locking it and unlocking it. When driving, check (or have a passenger check) the TCI software dashboard. It has a indicator to tell if the TC is locked or not locked. If you feel it locking and unlocking even when the software is calling for it to stay locked you need to look at the mechanical end of it. There are a few things with the valve body that can cause it to drop in and out of lock up, but check the software first. Your settings look fine to me though...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will do that first thing in the morning. Will post what the outcome is. It is getting closer.

SBP