Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tab needs to get cut off on a th400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What tab needs to get cut off on a th400?

I am about to do a th400 in my 2000 Z28, that was formerly a M6 car. I have been reading up on doing the swap and I think I am pretty much set on doing the install. But I have read that a tab or something needs to be cut or ground off for the th400 to fit. I just got my th400 back from being rebuilt and would like to grind off this before trying to bolt it up. Just trying to save some time. So if anyone could explain where this tab is that needs to get ground off, or even better if you have a pic I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the ears of the bell is what most guy's cut off. This would be the area where the inspection cover sticks out. What I normally do is draw a line with a marker and then use a sawzall(sp) to cut the ears off. I will then use a grinding disc to make the surface flat and clean in appearance. Look at the bell housing where the dowel pins are along with the two bolts on each side. Follow the outer edge of the bell to make your line and cut. This will give you the clearance you will need for the install. I do however modify all my cases before I build them so that I do not have to worry about the metal debris. After modifying the case I will make sure to wash it very well and then blow it out as well. Then you are ready for the assembly. In your case I would make sure to be very careful not to contaminate the transmission with the aluminum debris. Get some tape and make sure to seal the trans as best as you can. Vince

Quick Reply: What tab needs to get cut off on a th400?