Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift solenoid??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift solenoid??

hey guys what's up? i've posted this problem countless times now, but i thought of a new idea. my car has a problem of taching out between the second to third shift and wraps up all the way to 6500rpms before shifting. i have eliminated the possibility of something being left out of the tune because the guy who tuned it swears up and down everything was accounted for. a friend of mine also has this issue now, but he doesn't have a tuned computer. he ordered a new shift solenoid for about 24 dollars. i had never really thought of this and seems so simple. is it possible that this has been overlooked? thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not likely to be a faulty shift solenoid. There is a well documented condition that speaks to Solenoid Flooding. If the Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) is used in conjunction with an aftermarket shift kit that modifies the line pressure and the EPC tables are modified at all... or the EPC screw is turned, then it is possible that the solenoids cannot exhaust the pressure quickly enough for the shift to occur at a high RPM.

Did you ask your tuner where he has the EPC set? And which shift kit is installed in yuor unit?

We find that when a HD-2 Reprogramming Kit is used in conjunction with a 46-Mod kit (Vacuum Modulator instead of an EPC) we do not run into that condition.

Now, all that being said... if there is excessive clearance in the 3/4 clutch pack you will see a flare or delay in the 2/3 upshift regardless of what you do with the pressures or solenoids.

g
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Launching!

there is no shift kit, but the shifts are ridiculously firmer. it does feel as though there is a lot more pressure in the transmission and it snatches gears really well. i'm not sure what all he did cuz it was all done about a year ago and i have since lost touch with him. just based on the problems that this tune has given me tho i would say it was a half-assed job. but he claims he had the same problem with two of his other cars. in one the transmission blew up and after rebuild he never had the problem again and on the other one he claims the problem went away when he had the cats gutted (which makes no sense to me). so i'm still having trouble pin-pointing the problem. thank you though.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If it has no shift kit and shifts ridiculously firm the line presure has likley been raised to some very high level i some manor, Since you said you have issues with the tune I think that might be the best place to start, However there is indeed the possibility that the solenoid has become restricted in some way however that would also point to some impending failure. You may also consider just dropping the pan and take a look at whats in there and since its really easy to change a shift solenoid go ahead and try it there not exspensive, And would give you and opuritunity to acess the overall condition of the transmission, Thats something you could likley do on your own first.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Launching!

ok i'll try that i appreciate the help guys.