Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping a 98 4l60e into a 94

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping a 98 4l60e into a 94

I have a 1994 C1500 2wd pickup with a bad 4l60e transmission. I have a good 4l60e from a 1998 C1500 2wd pickup. I'm wondering if it is possible to do this swap. The bellhousing pattern is the same, as is the overall length. The only differences that I see are the transmission mount location, the speed sensor connector, and the shift linkage. The transmission mount shouldn't be a problem because I can modify my crossmember to fit. The connector for the VSS is different, and I have been unable to find an adapter. Does anyone know if the electronics in the sensor are different, or if it is just the connector? I haven't taken the valve body off yet, but I'm almost certain that I can swap the shaft that the shift linkage connects to.

I've also read that some of the solenoids are different and that I just have to swap the solenoids and internal harness from the 94 to the 98. Is that true? If anyone can guide me as to what I have to do and what I need to buy, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 12-23-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 98 is a PWM unit. The vehicle harness on the truck does not have a provision for the PWM function. I dont know for sure how the trans will react with out PWM. It may burn up or not activate the converter clutch.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:33 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would advised against it. There are quite a few differences. They include internal electronics's, pump, valve body and the separator plate. Failure is in the future if you do this swap and also the computer will not like what it sees. Vince