Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is it worth? 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is it worth? 4l60e

I'm talking to a local guy who has a built 4l60e with 200 miles on it. He claims not to know much about it except that it has some "Corvette servo". He's working on getting some documentation.

How much would you guys pay for something like this?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Without more information it would be and impossible guess, And so you will know corvette servos are stock in F bodies

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Launching!

How about a range then? Stock to Stage 5....
Old 12-29-2007, 10:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You can look at our website to get some ideas if you like. Personally I would not buy any built transmission without detailed specs of whats in it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Without more information it would be and impossible guess, And so you will know corvette servos are stock in F bodies
So then why is it the big thing to toss a vette servo into the tranny? Being that I've seen it on several different boards I pose this question as well; Is this article that I am linking to at the bottom of this post total crap, and all mentions to having a corvette servo installed into a 4L60e should be disregarded and credited as false?

Corvette Servo Install DIY
Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alt
So then why is it the big thing to toss a vette servo into the tranny? Being that I've seen it on several different boards I pose this question as well; Is this article that I am linking to at the bottom of this post total crap, and all mentions to having a corvette servo installed into a 4L60e should be disregarded and credited as false?

There are other servos that can be put in place of the Corvette servo. There are the Superior servos and the Sonnax servos, for example. Those are the 3 most popular servos out there, but you shouldn't just throw a Sonnax servo on a stock transmission. The Sonnax servo, from what I've heard, can cause harsh shifts - too harsh for the stock internals to take - and they can actually damage parts.

So, basically, you have to tailor your servo choices along with the build. For example, for mid-sized builds like the "one-right-under-the-strongest" tranny offered by most sponsors would likely fair best with a Corvette servo. Those trannies would see less torque internally, so the internal parts wouldn't be as strong. Now, their super strong builds which include 5-pinion planets and hardened/billet EVERYTHING would probably fair best with the Sonnax/Superior servos because the hard parts can take the stress since the high level builds are usually tailored for FI applications where extreme and sudden torque comes out of nowhere and bashes the living **** out of internals.

Again, I don't know a damn thing about building transmissions, I just look at what's in them and cast my judgment accordingly. I can just tell you people list the Corvette servo for two reasons:

1.) Reputable and honest sponsors like the ones on this board list the Corvette servo to tell you exactly what you have inside the transmission so you know exactly what you're getting.

2.) Crooked builders put it down on paper because it sounds like some kind of upgraded part, and they take advantage of people's ignorance. Let's face it: not many people know the Corvette servo comes stock on V8 F-body's, so they can make it act like it's some expensive aftermarket part that's going to make your tranny stronger In reality, a Corvette servo can be purchased for $10-$20 from random internet retailers.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-01-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 PM
FormerVendor

Wow.

Couldn't have said it better Choco! Good job. That narrative is spot on anot a bit misinformative.

g
Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

1.) Reputable and honest sponsors like the ones on this board list the Corvette servo to tell you exactly what you have inside the transmission so you know exactly what you're getting.

2.) Crooked builders put it down on paper because it sounds like some kind of upgraded part, and they take advantage of people's ignorance. Let's face it: not many people know the Corvette servo comes stock on F-body's, so they can make it act like it's some expensive aftermarket part that's going to make your tranny stronger In reality, a Corvette servo can be purchased for $10-$20 from random internet retailers.

Agreed. Now it can however be and inexpensive upgrade for example in non f body and the v6 camaros and firebirds as even though they are F bodies did not get these

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 01-01-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alt

I think what the point of the article was to say that there are some cheap things you can do without dropping the valve body. Most high performance cars will already have it so it is not an upgrade. I'm personally not a fan solid billet servos but that is a builder preference thing. I would use the sonnax ones if I was to use them. The vette servo is what we use in most rebuilds unless the sonnax 2nd servo is ordered as an upgrade. The nice thing about it is that it comes with a longer pin to adjust band clearance. It also has much better sealing capabilities over all servos on the market. The great thing about it is that it still uses the factory cushion and accumulation springs.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
There are other servos that can be put in place of the Corvette servo. There are the Superior servos and the Sonnax servos, for example. Those are the 3 most popular servos out there, but you shouldn't just throw a Sonnax servo on a stock transmission. The Sonnax servo, from what I've heard, can cause harsh shifts - too harsh for the stock internals to take - and they can actually damage parts.

So, basically, you have to tailor your servo choices along with the build. For example, for mid-sized builds like the "one-right-under-the-strongest" tranny offered by most sponsors would likely fair best with a Corvette servo. Those trannies would see less torque internally, so the internal parts wouldn't be as strong. Now, their super strong builds which include 5-pinion planets and hardened/billet EVERYTHING would probably fair best with the Sonnax/Superior servos because the hard parts can take the stress since the high level builds are usually tailored for FI applications where extreme and sudden torque comes out of nowhere and bashes the living **** out of internals.

Again, I don't know a damn thing about building transmissions, I just look at what's in them and cast my judgment accordingly. I can just tell you people list the Corvette servo for two reasons:

2.) Crooked builders put it down on paper because it sounds like some kind of upgraded part, and they take advantage of people's ignorance. Let's face it: not many people know the Corvette servo comes stock on F-body's, so they can make it act like it's some expensive aftermarket part that's going to make your tranny stronger In reality, a Corvette servo can be purchased for $10-$20 from random internet retailers.
Nice statement Choco! However I believe you meant to say superior/fairbanks when you said this. "The Sonnax servo, from what I've heard, can cause harsh shifts - too harsh for the stock internals to take - and they can actually damage parts." Read my post above to see the advantage of the sonnax over the superior. Good info Choco!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Tech Resident

I tried my best guys. I meant the Superior ones Vince, I figured I'd mess something up I mixed up my lefts and rights. I meant my other left

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-01-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Agreed. Now it can however be and inexpensive upgrade for example in non f body and the v6 camaros and firebirds as even though they are F bodies did not get these
Sorry, I meant V8 F-bodys Back when I used to have my V6, on the 6 banger boards, it was popular to throw a Corvette servo on the stock transmissions with no other modifications. With my V6, I couldn't even FEEL the transmission shift, ever. It was like driving a luxury car. There's actually kick to the V8 models, which I like a lot more, albeit it still isn't nearly enough for me.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Sorry, I meant V8 F-bodys Back when I used to have my V6, on the 6 banger boards, it was popular to throw a Corvette servo on the stock transmissions with no other modifications. With my V6, I couldn't even FEEL the transmission shift, ever. It was like driving a luxury car. There's actually kick to the V8 models, which I like a lot more, albeit it still isn't nearly enough for me.
I understand I allways remember them because we are actually a sponsor on www.fullthrottlev6.com those guys actually have some rather impressive cars some even by LS1 standards. Getting so much from so little.

Call 888-744-6542