Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery A4 Shifter Issue

Old 01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery A4 Shifter Issue

I just recently had my steering column rebuilt. It all works just fine; however, a new but possibly related issue has emerged. Upon turning the engine off, I am unable to remove the key. There is a metal piece under the shift lever that, if I pull it upwards, will "pop" into a slot in the shifter base. I believe it is the lock pin or lock plate for the shifter lever. Once this piece is popped into place, I am able to turn the key counter-clockwise and remove the key without a problem. The car starts with no problem until I need to turn the car off and remove the key. I'm certain that this lock pin should pop into place on its own as the shifter used to work just fine. Can anyone give me a clue as to what may be causing this problem? Possible solutions?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Did this start when you got the car back from repairs? If so, take it back to whoever built the column. They didn't do something right.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Well the shifter and key lock cylinder were acting up. I got pissed off one day and turned the key hard enough to break the key lock cylinder. This worked great for a while but eventually I couldn't turn the car off. Also, the shifter would move from gear to gear without the need to depress the shifter ****. I pulled the column and had it rebuilt. Everything works great now that the column has been rebuilt except for the issue I described. I was hoping maybe it was an adjustment issue ... possibly with the park/lock cable. If nothing else, I can always bring it to the dealership and take it up the tailpipe but I know it is something simple ... so simple that I've overlooked the solution.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Well, just an update on this problem. I adjusted the park/lock cable and eliminated the problem of the key not returning to the lock position. However, now I've noticed that, once the the shifter button is depressed to allow the lever to be placed in any possition other than Park, the shifter button will not release; thus allowing the lever to slide from Park to 1st and back without resistance. I pulled console off and cleaned everything as thoroughly as possible without removing the shifter assembly; but it is still sticking. With a small amount of pressure under the locking pin, I can free the pin. Anyone know whether this is simply an issue of a gummed up shifter or what? I can't identify any obvious misalignment or interference.

Search this Thread