Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

growling noise in 4l60E-help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default growling noise in 4l60E-help

shifts fine and goes into each gear but growls/rough sounding when taking off in drive or reverse, no noise when in Drive, overdrive noise but not drive. been told it is planetary. how hard is this to replace and what else would I have to do when in trans. only want stock rebuild, no hot rodding for this trans, dailey driver vehicle only. any special tools required?? I pulled in and went to movie and came back out and had the noise, nothing on way, has 120k on it. thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it most likely is a planetary gear noise. If it has 120k miles on it then I suggest a complete rebuild if it needs to be gone into. It would be a waste of time and trouble if you plan on keeping the car to only replace the failed components IMHO.

g
Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to guess rear planet from what you have posted.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Teching In

can I do this myself, I am engine rebuild skilled but never taken apart a trans, thanks.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

It sounds like a Torrington bearing in the planetary or the planetary gears or bearings behind the gears are bad. This is why you have noise in specific gears. You should take this particular trans to a pro. There are lots of updates to the valve body and internals that should be addressed a novice would never know and the manuals don't inform you of. If you already hear the noise, you have contaminated the entire system from the trans to the converter and to the cooler. It must be flushed and new or reman parts added to make it right. If this car is something you depend on, don't waist your time taking it out and putting it back in a few times to find out. Plus, a lot of shops may not work on it if you did not torque things right, you could "build a hidden problem" into it and it will cost more to find it. Make the call.

Quick Reply: growling noise in 4l60E-help