Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Z28, pick my shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 Z28, pick my shift kit

before you tell me to do a search...I did...and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I am looking into a shift kit for my 02 Z28, mainly because I want to improve my fun factor around town and if it helps prolong my tranny, then that's okay too. The car doesn't see the strip, just spirited around town driving. I shift it manually around town sometimes, but usually only when scaring pedestrians around the local college campus!

What shift kit should I go with and why? I read about some stuff not playing well with torque management (I don't know what that is..I'm new to late model stuff) And if it helps, I have already loaded the Diablo Predator tune into my car.

Finally, do I need to install a trans cooler or deeper pan with the shift kit?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Tom, ive always read good things about the B&M Kit, along with the Transgo and believe you cant go wrong either way. A external cooler is always a good thing to do any auto trans for longevity purposes and a must for any higher stalled applications. Up shifting an auto trans is fine, but down shifting could cause problems for the trans later down the road due to the fact that there isnt enough pressure with your foot off the accelerator pedal when shifting down. Ive read by transmission sponsors on this site that its alright to downshift IF you keep you foot on the accel. pedal just a slight bit to keep the pressure up in the trans. Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

the things i have read and experienced is stay away from the b&m kits. they block the accumulator pistons from moving causing it to slam into gear which is hard on the trans. you more or less want it to shift quick and firm, not break ur neck. i had a b&m kit and removed b/c i did not like it anymore. most on here will recommend the transgo hd2 kit. and also if your gonna do a shift kit tune the trans back to stock with the diablo. you don't want to have that much line pressure with a shift kit installed too. schweet is right about the manual shifting. its not bad for it. just on the downshifts give it a lil throttle. and with the hd2 kit u can shift into 1,2,and3 at any rpm.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

sweet, thanks guys!!! Oh, and Schweet97Z...the Corsa sounds freakin awesome and I haven't managed to drag the cutout yet!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Im glad your happy! I knew you would be!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

Trans-go HD2 kit

There onsale in the forsale section all the time for under 30 bucks!

Quick Reply: 02 Z28, pick my shift kit