Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank converter lock up problem?? what next

Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is some good advice in here, but I'd still call Yank and get their input. Maybe they will have some ideas.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have made no changes to the car in a year, and have had the car tuned for the current set up with no problems or check engine lights. this trans was rebuilt one year ago 14,000 miles, any has always shifter perfect and locked up at the same speed/rpm (and still does, only lock up isnt right). It's not throwing any codes now ,but i will go get the car scanned, both engine and trans, and ill post up the findings.

the trans has only acted up one other time since the rebuild About a month ago it unlocked and locked back, very similar to this last time , only when it locked back it felt and drove fine.

i will call yank as soon as i scan it.

thanks for the advice fellas..
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would still suspect issue with the lock up enable valve binding.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM

Default That sounds like the exact symptoms my Corvette is giving me with the Yank converter

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
A slipping converter clutch will ordinarily impart a shutter in the vehicle at part throttle while pulling a slight incline at appx 50 mph in most vehicles when in lock up.

A quick and simple test to verify that indeed you are feeling a converter issue is to get it into lock up at steady throttle. Then very lightly apply the brake pedal with your left foot while holding a constant throttle pressure. Only depress the brake pedal enough to engage the switches. This will over ride or inhibit lock up. Once the rpm's increase release the brake pedal. Then notice how the converter clutch engages. If it is indeed slipping it will be very noticeable.

One surefire way to determine if the converter clutch is slipping is to visually inspect the front cover of the converter. This can be done while it is in the car... it is not easy, but it can be done. Remove the starter, remove the torque converter bolts, slide the converter back into the tranny pump. Then, look around the flat area of the flexplate side (front cover) of the converter. If the clutch has been slipping there will be an obvious darkening of the paint.

If it has been found that the converter clutch has been slipping you will then need to determine why it has been slipping. It could have been damaged some time ago and is just now showing symptoms, a solenoid may be malfunctioning, the solenoid filter / screen may be contaminated and so on... point is, the tranny must be very thoroughly visually inspected to determine the cause of the failure.

Hope that helps,

g
That sounds like exactly what's going on with my Yank converter in my 1997 C5 Corvette. Do I need new converter??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yank converter lock up problem?? what next