Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to test new converter from BTE

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to test new converter from BTE

I was previously running a Midwest 3000/2.5 STR converter. A local company contacted me through my car club to see if I wanted to test out a new converter they are developing for the LS1 market. I installed the converter a few weeks ago, but haven't track tested yet. Street impressions are awesome. Seem MUCH stronger than the Midwest, but that's to be expected with the higher stall. Here's the details on the converter from BTE racing:

I have some photos and information on what we have completed during the past week or so.

The converter we have constructed is unlike any other LS1 converter available today. Starting with the same 245mm core that is the current standard for the 10/9.5 inch units, we have, for all intensive purposes, built a converter that is equivalent in strength and quality to a race converter.

I have taken some pictures of the completed unit (before welding). Feel free to "share them" with anyone who would be interested in these types of things. (wink, wink)

BTE converter pic

The converter does, admittedly look somewhat strange with the 10" top and 12" front, however, we are currently working on a billet front which may or may not be an option in the final production units. The 12" lockup clutch area is equivalent to the lockup area on the 10" big clutch found in the Precision and Yank units.

converter top

Here you can see the top of the converter. Note the fully furnace brazed fins and hand welding at each fin end. This is the same treatment we apply to the converters in 2000 hp applications.

converter internals

Here is the rest of the converter: stator, turbine, lockup clutch, and front. Note the 10" turbine inside the 12" front. This will give the converter the same stall capabilities as a 10".

converter turbine

Another view, this time of the turbine only. Again, note the extensive furnace brazing and hand welding on the turbine fins.

stock stator

This is the stock aluminum stator that precision and yank place in their units.

]stock stator 2

Here is an exploded view of the spring and roller one way clutch. This stock configuration is prone to failure in performance applications. The springs will weaken over time and either break or no longer hold.

typical springs

These are the springs and rollers found in a typical 10" LS1 converter.

BTE steel stator

Here is a picture of our race steel "C" stator. This indestructible unit is found in some of the fastest drag cars in the country. We have the ability to use 6 variations of this type of stator (A, AXC, B, BCX, C, CCX), and unlimited hand built units in these converters, giving a wide range of stall and tire hit.

BTE converter sprag

This is the Stieber multi-element sprag found in our race converters as well. The active profile of the sprag, which initiates the clamping action with the races, has been revised so that the sprags will not slip during the transition between overrunning and torque transmission. The cams inside this sprag are also synchronized, allowing a even application of the sprag at all times.

Now that we have the dimensions and overall configuration worked out, we can now start on the second phase of the process: the matching of converters to applications and meeting desired stalls. We have a good idea what this converter should do, but ultimately some track testing will tell the true story.

Tell me what you guys think
Old 08-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: About to test new converter from BTE

No one has an opinion on this coverter ?

I hope to get back to the track either Tuesday or Thursday night test n tune. I'll post back with the results.

Quick Reply: About to test new converter from BTE