Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screechig Noise from Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Screechig Noise from Transmission

I just got done installing a replacement 4L60E into my Camaro. It has about 4K miles on it and still has stock convertor. Well, when I started the car, I almost immediately got a loud screeching noise that sounded like it was coming from the transmission. I immediately shut off the engine and let it sit.

I decided to start it up a second and third time only letting it run for a few seconds fearing that something might be wrong (and noise like that can't be good). It almost has a belt screech sound to it, but louder and heavier sounding. Now, when I thought back on my install. I did not fill the TC with a quart of fluid before I put the transmission in. Could that be my problem? Before installing the transmission, I did replace the rear seal and then installed a new filter. Got the transmission in and filled it with five quarts of ATF. Anybody have any ideas on what it might be? Is it possibly just the transmission needing a few more seconds to run and get the fluid flowing?

I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't screw something up. Thanks for any input you all might have.

- Patrick
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After thinking about it some more, I'm wondering if it is the serpentine belt that is causing the noise. When under the car, I noticed it wasn't on the crank pulley all the way (off by maybe one rib). So I got it all lined up but the belt seemed loose. I think I'm going to start the car tonight without the belt on to see if the noise goes away.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the tranny and converter were dry your gonna need way more than 5 quarts. if your belt was hanging off the crank and loose that could be it too
Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

New Belt dumdumdum! Removed the belt when I got home and no noise. I guess it was stretched out a but from not being seated all the way on the pulleys. New belt installed, fired it up, leveled off tranny fluid. All is well. Now all that is left is to get the Torque Arm bushing in when it gets to me.